ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Just bought wireless mic - now I am told it is illegal  (Read 15420 times)

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
Re: Just bought wireless mic - now I am told it is illegal
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 08:11:23 PM »

Um, no, Canada is following the USA's frequency allocations very closely, and already this summer it will be illegal to operate wireless mics in the 700MHz band.  Dump your gear somewhere else!  ;)

Thanks for the correction. I've seen a number of WTB wireless ads and thought that I'd seen Canada as one of the places they were planning on using them.  Must have been another country.  I know there have been people buying them.  I'll leave it up to the OP to find out where!

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »

Nope. Channel bandwidths and deviation of analog 700MHz two-way radios are different enough that even a transmission directly on the actual wireless mic frequency (with frequency error) will produce a distorted, possibly barely intelligible squawk. More than likely, since the transmission won't be directly on frequency, it'll simply be a loud burst of noise.

Just trying to work in an attempt at humor (seen Wayne's World?), but I do appreciate the clarification.

I take back my bad joke and instead just say: any interference is bad when you're singing that heart touching ballad, even if it's just a burst of noise!

Get a mic that uses an approved frequency.

Poopedi Kwena

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »

How much would you let it go by?
I'm down here in South Africa and I don't even know the definition of FCC (well I do its just that there is no such here and there won't b any soon) (1US$~7ZAR)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 02:50:33 PM »

Nope. Channel bandwidths and deviation of analog 700MHz two-way radios are different enough that even a transmission directly on the actual wireless mic frequency (with frequency error) will produce a distorted, possibly barely intelligible squawk. More than likely, since the transmission won't be directly on frequency, it'll simply be a loud burst of noise.

The Big DealTM here is not that some police band will interfere with your use, but that your use will interfere with some emergency communications, which COULD represent a very real threat to someone's life, safety, or property.

On top of the huge fine, you will have a guilty conscience knowing that some kid died because YOUR wireless system prevented the fire trucks from finding the house in a timely fashion. (OK, so maybe that's extreme. The point is that the spectrum has been reallocated for emergency communications, and the FCC will be very protective of it.)

Rather than sell it, try to donate it to a missionary or relief organization that can legally import and use it in a foreign country.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »

I bought a 5 year old wireless mic on Craigslist about 2 months ago....Can I continue to use this until I experience interference from other sources?
Operation of Wireless Microphones in 700 MHz Band

What are people here doing about this problem?
I just (last summer) replaced all of our 700 Band microphones (every last one in the building) to the tune of $70,000.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »

The Big DealTM here is not that some police band will interfere with your use, but that your use will interfere with some emergency communications, which COULD represent a very real threat to someone's life, safety, or property.

On top of the huge fine, you will have a guilty conscience knowing that some kid died because YOUR wireless system prevented the fire trucks from finding the house in a timely fashion. (OK, so maybe that's extreme. The point is that the spectrum has been reallocated for emergency communications, and the FCC will be very protective of it.)

You are correct, though that's not what was being addressed by my response.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »

The Big DealTM here is not that some police band will interfere with your use, but that your use will interfere with some emergency communications

It's not just emergency operations. Several of the cell phone companies have purchased chunks of this bandwidth for portable TV and internet devices. That bandwidth is legally theirs to use. They can file a complaint against users of wireless microphones in that spectrum and you will get fined just as much as you would for interfering with em-com usage.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Deke Lockrem

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »

It's not just emergency operations. Several of the cell phone companies have purchased chunks of this bandwidth for portable TV and internet devices. That bandwidth is legally theirs to use. They can file a complaint against users of wireless microphones in that spectrum and you will get fined just as much as you would for interfering with em-com usage.
So let me see if I have this straight. Somebody bought the air that my wireless mic uses and now if I use that air, I am commiting a crime? Who decided they owned this air to sell it? I would think whoever that is needs to buy me a new wireless. I never agreed to this sale, so I will continue to use the air needed to run my wireless unit.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 11:33:49 AM »

So let me see if I have this straight. Somebody bought the air that my wireless mic uses and now if I use that air, I am commiting a crime? Who decided they owned this air to sell it? I would think whoever that is needs to buy me a new wireless. I never agreed to this sale, so I will continue to use the air needed to run my wireless unit.

Hmmmm. Me suspect a troll.

I suggest you do a search here and in the old LAB archives for "700MHz", "Auctions" and "spectrum reallocation" as well as read the FCC rules and regulations, specifically Part 74 Subparts A, H and the FCC's explanation of the issue. If after doing some reading you still have questions, I, and likely others, will be happy to answer them, but your post and the attitude that comes across from it is wholly wrong.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:06:42 PM by Henry Cohen »
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »

That "somebody" is the Congress of the United States, who directed the FCC, through statute, to maximize the efficiency of RF allocation and enhance revenue.

Yes, you are committing a crime.  You are using RF spectrum that has been *leased* for 10 years, via a spectrum auction.

Your acceptance of this is immaterial and your response immature.  You got hoodwinked and are unhappy, which is understandable, but continuing to use this spectrum will leave you vulnerable to interference and possible investigation, confiscation of equipment, administrative fines and criminal proceedings should you interfere with licensed uses.  Is your childish rant worth that, any of that?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.