ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dimmer Packs & Track Lighting  (Read 7533 times)

Nick Bair

Dimmer Packs & Track Lighting
« on: May 13, 2010, 06:39:54 AM »

Our small church is a long way off from the need for actual stage lighting, in terms of both cost and necessity. Our current configuration of recessed and track lighting works fine for the handful of productions we do in the course of a year. However, the wall-mounted dimmer switches are hard to use. I would like to get some DMX dimmer packs and a lighting control panel to solve this.

Are there dimmers available that are meant to work with Romex wiring? If not, is it safe (like, "fire marshal" safe) to terminate Romex wire with an Edison plug to make it work with Edison dimmers?

Of course, I am open to other solutions as well, keeping in mind the desire to minimize cost.

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
Re: Dimmer Packs & Track Lighting
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »

Nick Bair wrote on Thu, 13 May 2010 11:39

Our small church is a long way off from the need for actual stage lighting, in terms of both cost and necessity. Our current configuration of recessed and track lighting works fine for the handful of productions we do in the course of a year. However, the wall-mounted dimmer switches are hard to use. I would like to get some DMX dimmer packs and a lighting control panel to solve this.

Are there dimmers available that are meant to work with Romex wiring? If not, is it safe (like, "fire marshal" safe) to terminate Romex wire with an Edison plug to make it work with Edison dimmers?

Of course, I am open to other solutions as well, keeping in mind the desire to minimize cost.

I don't think that Romex is ever recommended for interfacing with Edison plugs. Edison plugs that I see are designed to interface with regular stranded power cords and not solid wires and not wires in that Romex kind of sheathing.

You always want to terminate the Romex in a permanently-mounted standard electrical box. You might get licensed electrican approval to connect the Romex to a standard appropriate gauge 3-wire power cord that passes through a standard electrical box cover with a hole in it, using a standard cable clamp in the hole to strain-relieve the power cord.  

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Dimmer Packs & Track Lighting
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.