ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the AES50 standard alive and well in pro audio?  (Read 8807 times)

William Johnson

Is the AES50 standard alive and well in pro audio?
« on: April 21, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »

Hello all,

How is the AES50 standard doing these days? Are many manufacturers adopting this standard? What does the timeline look like?

I am debating if a PCIe card with the AES50 option is worth an extra ~ $200 in terms of future products? I am referring to the LYNX Technologies AES16e-50. It appears to have its greatest benefits related to live sound recording etc.

Thanks,

William

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
Re: Is the AES50 standard alive and well in pro audio?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:30:32 PM »

Hello all,

How is the AES50 standard doing these days? Are many manufacturers adopting this standard? What does the timeline look like?

I am debating if a PCIe card with the AES50 option is worth an extra ~ $200 in terms of future products? I am referring to the LYNX Technologies AES16e-50. It appears to have its greatest benefits related to live sound recording etc.

Thanks,

William

As far as I know all the new Midas digital desks are using AES50.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »

That is correct. ALL the Midas digitals runs SuperMac (AES50) and HyperMac. Many other consoles can be configured to use AES50 transport as well since it is, like, a standard and stuff.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

William Johnson

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 06:53:14 PM »

To all wondering about AES50 [like I do from time to time] . . . it seems the standard is growing slowly at least in the live mixing and recording context . . . Even Behringer is or has released their new digital mixing console with AES50 interfaces for use as a snake and I would assume anything else that is AES50 friendly.

I have been questioning if the AES50 option is worth an extra $100 or $200 (depending on if you are getting the SRC option also) on the LYNX Studio AES16e-50 PCIe interface card . . . what do you think? Its obvious I am tight for $$ right now to be asking such a question, right?

Now, if a few mic / line preamp-type rack devices with AES50 output option appear, I think the studio world could make use such (if pricing is K for project-type studios. I could see FX send/return, etc. BUT wait, why not integrate AES50 with TT patchbays! That could open up the world, from studio I/O to field I/O, FX I/O, Headphone 'more-me' monitoring, (e.g., anything we already use or need). I ain't that smart, so someone must already be doing this, right? It is a good idea or am I off on a tangent?

Thanks,

William
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 07:04:01 PM by William Johnson »

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 05:21:16 AM »

Many other consoles can be configured to use AES50 transport as well since it is, like, a standard and stuff.

It seems to me that this is a standard that will be very slow to be adopted - as all good standards are. The broadcast world will be slow to move away from MADI (AES10), and i think this will be what drives the live sound move also. But i think the AES50 standard is much less a standard than MADI, Dante, etc, in live sound at the moment. Its just Midas...

I wouldn't be buying any AES50 kit to be honest. I'd stick with MADI for now, and if and when you need to record AES50, you can use a DN9650 to do so (AES50 to Madi bridge).

Remember, as much as it saddens me, Behringer now owns Midas, hence why they also use AES50... Its not a coincidence.

Digico, Avid, Soundcraft, Yamaha, all have no AES50 support.

MADI is king, stick with it for now! By the time AES50 is a standard, you'll need a new card anyway...
Riedel Communications

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 05:21:16 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.