ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Camera suggestions  (Read 20793 times)

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
Re: New Camera suggestions
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 08:45:53 AM »

Kristian Stevenson wrote on Thu, 18 February 2010 03:18

We have decied it is time to upgrade our video recording system. We currently use an old consumer mini VHS camcorder ran to a dvd recorder. We are going to upgrade to an HD Camcorder of some sort and a Mac with Final Cut Express for video editing. I know what we are going to need as far as the computer but I wasn't sure about a good camera.

We have about $3000 to spend on the camera. It needs to be HD. It needs XLR inputs so we can come straight out of our mixer (yamaha 32LS9) into the camera. It also needs a composite video output to go into our video switcher to send video signal to other parts of the church (nursery, overflow..ect).  I figured we would film the service and transfer the recording to the mac for editing and publishing to a DVD. I'm not sure whether a tape or Hard drive/flash camera will work best for our needs. Any suggestions or other things to consider??

We do video on a tightly-stretched shoelace and have a completely different take on just about everything.

I wouldn't route sound through a camera on a bet if I could avoid it, and avoiding it is pretty easy for me. I just add the sound from the console when I record the video from the output of the video mixer.

I use a DVD-DVR to record the service. Its not exactly HD but the major source of poor video is the camera, which is BTW a Canon HV20. The HV20 would do a much better job if we were't using it 100% in telephoto mode from about 100 feet away. And there is a point - all the camera in the world won't help you much if you use in a sufficiently suboptimal way.

I wouldn't pay the Mac premium to edit or do anything else with video. Adobe Premiere elements runs about $80, does everything that you really need to get through the end of the day, and will run just fine on a $400 PC.

If I had $3k to spend, I'd probably buy more than one camera,  and try to get some better locations to shoot from. It seems like about 3 video sources is a good number for doing a really nice job. The third source would be our presentation computer. Or, maybe 2 more cameras...

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: New Camera suggestions
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 08:45:53 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.