ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Camera suggestions  (Read 20796 times)

Kristian Stevenson

Re: New Camera suggestions
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 09:39:38 PM »

I didn't even think about JVC! The GY-HM100U seems a lot like the canon but with the SD cards for recording. I'd prefer that over tape anyways. I like how it records in the native apple format (.mov). It also looks like it can be had for around $3300. There are a lot more options out there than I thought. But so far this one beats the canon for our needs.

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »

As I've been looking at all these cameras, I've noticed different frame rates paired with different resolutions. What does each frame rate (25p-60p) do to the "look" and feel of the video? what would be best for my usage?

thanks

Robert Sims

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »

Kristian,

Pretty sure I can't say it better than this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
Robert Sims
Technical Director/Engineer
Hope Baptist Church
Systems Engineer
CES Las Vegas

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »

thanks, that's just what I needed. So it looks like 60i or 30p is the best for what we will be using the camera for.

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 12:22:23 PM »

I was looking at the JVC's specs and it only has a 10x optical zoom. We really like the Sony AX2000. Just have a few general questions: If you are recording and one card gets full, will it automatically switch over to the other card? Has anyone had any experience with this sony?

We really like this one even though it is pushing the budget. It doe everything we need it to do (and more).

Robert Sims

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »

Not sure, but I would tend to say no. That would require some on board buffering, which is a good idea, but I haven't seen that yet. But I'm not up to speed on everything video. If it has room for two cards, it may indeed do that. Check the manual.

I would think you would want to use storage large enough to handle the event being recorded.

If the event is really long my guess is there would be a break in the action long enough to cover a switch of cards. If you have 2 cameras change one, then the other. That way at least you have continuous coverage.

We transfer data off the card between services.
Robert Sims
Technical Director/Engineer
Hope Baptist Church
Systems Engineer
CES Las Vegas

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »

So it turns out the AX2000 may not be able to record video to the SD cards either. The sony site is very vague. It says it will record video to the memory stick pro, but doesn't specifically say SD. It does mention that photos can be stored on SD cards.
We have emailed Sony to find out for sure but haven't gotten a response yet. The guys at B&H said it may, some reviews say it wont and others say it will. We're not really sure who to believe.

In the mean time, we were looking around some more and really like the pro version of the AX2000, the NX5U. It is pushing the budget but has all the bells and whistles.
 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672423-REG/Sony_HXR_NX 5U_HXR_NX5U_NXCAM_Professional_Camcorder.html

We haven't decided for sure but it looks like the NX5U is the way to go. It has all the zoom we need, records to SDHC, XLR inputs, composite out...ect

Ryan Fluharty

• http://www.geocities.com/hartvideoproductions
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »

Remember that Memory Stick Pro is Sony's version of SDHC, so I would assume that they would only record to the MSPro cards.  The NX5U also has the optional 128GB dockable hard drive which may be of use to you.  According to the BH website, 2 32GB MSPro cards can hold 6 hours of video, so 1 32GB or 2 16GBs should get you through a service.

Both cameras have just entered the market this year, so you won't be able to find many real world reviews or critiques yet.

In reference to JVC cameras, they have the worst reliability rating out of the 4 major brands of prosumer video equipment.  That's why you won't see many videographers using them.

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 11:04:50 PM »

I would prefer SDHC since the cards are cheaper and the iMac has an SD card reader built in. We figured on 2 16GB cards to start out with.

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »

Well guys the Sony HXR NX5U just arrived today. B&H had a deal where you could get the Sony 120gb memory module with a $250 mail in rebate so we splurged and did that as well. Unfortunately, it is on back order and wont be in for another few weeks. I'm going to pick up a 16GB SD card to get it going though. The iMac and final cut express should be in by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help,
Kristian

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.