ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MC7L-48 vrs ls9-32 with 16 channel expansion.  (Read 19859 times)

Michael Robertson

Re: MC7L-48 vrs ls9-32 with 16 channel expansion.
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 10:05:47 pm »

I would certainly see if you can take the i-Live for a test drive. We did that a few months back in our search for a new desk.

I like the M7 as far as ease of use, not sound though. Yamaha makes some good desks, but in that price range I'd take the i-Live hands down. It was just much easier to use, more flexible, and I think it sounded a lot better. Not to mention the built in "digital snake". OK, it's not really a snake since the surface is just a network controller, but some audio can be transported on it.
Don't think twice. You didn't get it the first time, you won't get it the second time either.

Dick Rees

Re: MC7L-48 vs ls9-32 with 16 channel expansion.
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 10:31:38 pm »

Gary Creely wrote on Sat, 13 February 2010 18:58

Mac Kerr wrote on Sat, 13 February 2010 13:31

the wrong piece of gear at the right price is still the wrong piece of gear.

While such a clich

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »

Dick Rees wrote on Sun, 14 February 2010 22:31

While such a clich

Dick Rees

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 01:01:40 am »

Kent Thompson wrote on Sun, 14 February 2010 22:44

Dick Rees wrote on Sun, 14 February 2010 22:31

While such a clich

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 12:24:37 pm »

Given the choice in this price range, I would much rather have the Digidesign SC48 or Allen & Heath iLive-T than either Yamaha option, probably in that order.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 06:13:12 pm »

Well the ilive-T has moved into serious contention because it will allow us to take our current snake and run it to the production room so it can get all the FOH channels instead of the limited number we have now. Due to the cat-5 type snake.

I think the sc48 is available to us as well. The pricing of all 3 seems to be "close enough".

We did get a suggestion to pair the Yamaha with something like a Big Ben to improve the audio quality. Can anyone attest to this?

George S Dougherty

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 12:50:05 pm »

Kent Thompson wrote on Wed, 17 February 2010 16:13

We did get a suggestion to pair the Yamaha with something like a Big Ben to improve the audio quality. Can anyone attest to this?

From what I've heard, yes, it will improve the audio quality.  The other issue on the Yamaha preamps is they don't perform as well unless they're cranked up.  Supposedly, some engineers will put pad's on the inputs of louder signals so they can crank the headamps.  Given all that, why bother?  Go with the SC48 or iLive that are better boards to begin with.

Given what I use, and the flexibility of using different plugins, I'd personally take the SC48 in that regard.  OTOH, the included digital snake on the A&H is pretty hard to ignore.

Dick Rees

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 02:26:00 pm »

Kent Thompson wrote on Wed, 17 February 2010 18:13

Well the ilive-T has moved into serious contention because it will allow us to take our current snake and run it to the production room so it can get all the FOH channels instead of the limited number we have now. Due to the cat-5 type snake.

I think the sc48 is available to us as well. The pricing of all 3 seems to be "close enough".

I'll admit right up front that I'm not a big fan of Yamaha consoles....analog or digital.  In fact, I rather dislike them.

The question is:

Why would anyone want to purchase something that required an after-market upgrade to attempt to approach the quality and usability of another brand stock off the shelf????

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: MC7L-48 vs iLive T
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 02:56:09 pm »

Dick Rees wrote on Thu, 18 February 2010 14:26

I'll admit right up front that I'm not a big fan of Yamaha consoles....analog or digital.  In fact, I rather dislike them.

The question is:

Why would anyone want to purchase something that required an after-market upgrade to attempt to approach the quality and usability of another brand stock off the shelf????

That presupposes that the quality and usability of the other product is in fact better.

My experience has not supported that supposition. I have no actual show experience with the iLive, but in demos it is not as usable for me. The scene change lag eliminates the possibility of having multiple scenes in a song, which is SOP in musical theater.

I also have listened to shows mixed on Yamaha consoles as well as shows mixed on all kinds of supposedly "better sounding" consoles, and I have never felt the console was the weak link.

I also have never heard of anyone listening to 2 consoles side by side with the same mics and the same speakers, only changing the console in a double blind test, which I believe is the only way to discover subtle differences between similar products.

In my experience, the console that is easiest to get a good mix on is going to sound better every time. I think with the constant access to all faders, and the availability of all aux send controls for any selected channel, the M7 is an easier transition to digital from analog.

In the end, anyone contemplating 2 different consoles with different operating layouts should use them both before making a decision. Spending the money to rent one for tryout is better than being stuck with something you are unhappy with later.

Mac

Kent Thompson

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 03:05:37 pm »

Dick Rees wrote on Thu, 18 February 2010 14:26

The question is:

We probably won't just trying to be thorough. Looks like we are leaning to the ilive T right now mainly due to the snake and also the sound. It fixes an existing problem we have had since we moved the production room from one side of the church to the other. Realy anything with a digital snake would do that but, the other products either cost too much or are too limited in channel count(ie roland). We are gonna need to take a road trip at some point here to atually sit down with some of these boards...500 miles is a long way to go to try out a board (one of the down sides to living in such a big state like Texas)  Laughing  good thing I have relatives near by.

Thanks for the info on the scene changes. Will check it out when I get a hands on with them. I would not feel comfortable spending other peoples money on anything I haven't put my hands on and am sure about. I have downloaded all of the brands editors and have played with them to get a feel for how they work. Everyone but the Roland's I became annoyed with at some point, its software was the easiest to work with. That's a whole nother topic.

We have talked about renting as well. I know the dealer does rentals of the Yamahas for sure not sure if he has the ilive T or the sc48 for rent though. Will check up on that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 03:05:37 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.