ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Processor or No Processor???  (Read 6147 times)

Chris Hunt

Processor or No Processor???
« on: January 13, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »

Here's the scenerio: 4 QSC HPR153i, 2 JBL SRX728.  Currently I am running thru an EV DC-One in Stereo.  I want to aux feed my subs and without a 3 input DSP, I can't do this.  I have a Macro3600 for the subs, so direct to the amp is out of the question.  My option is this, and I want to see what opinions you guys have.  I want to get a IT6000 for my subs.  If I had this, I could go direct out of the console to the tops (powered and crossed at 100hz on their own), then out a sub direct to the IT6000, where I can cross the subs internally.  If I did this, I could get rid of the DC-One to offset the cost of the amp.  Will this work as a stereo setup with aux fed subs?  Is there a better way?  Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:00:56 PM by Chris Hunt »
Chris Hunt
Limelight - FOH
-----------------------------

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
Re: Processor or No Processor???
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »

It will work but you will want to keep the EV processor anyway. You may need to provide a different high pass in your tops, equalize them at crossover, delay them to align with the subwoofer, or use the processor for house EQ.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Chris Hunt

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »

It will work but you will want to keep the EV processor anyway. You may need to provide a different high pass in your tops, equalize them at crossover, delay them to align with the subwoofer, or use the processor for house EQ.

Thanks Bennett, I thought about that.  Would there be any advantage of using the processor in that way over using the SC48 GEQ and output delays for accomplishing what you are talking about?  That is to say I am happy with the built-in cross over point of the speakers.  Thanks!
Chris Hunt
Limelight - FOH
-----------------------------

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:56:39 PM »

You could get a PIP card for the MA3600 amp. The older AMC and BP1 cards can be set up as a crossover / bandpass filter. The digital PIP cards are still current.

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »

Thanks Bennett, I thought about that.  Would there be any advantage of using the processor in that way over using the SC48 GEQ and output delays for accomplishing what you are talking about?  That is to say I am happy with the built-in cross over point of the speakers.  Thanks!
Nope, six of one, half a dozen of the other.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

No Name

• SR Forums
    • Stage Electrics UK
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:56:01 PM »

If you are happy with the output processing the SC48 gives you, then yes, you dont have to  use an external DSP with your tops, although many people prefer to have a DSP inline as well as the output processing on a digital console, even with small systems, as it allows for extra control and routing options.

Adam

Kind Regards,
Adam Finlayson

JamesButera

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 11:35:52 PM »

Just keep running from your Matrix Outs. That way you have built in delay that you can control from FOH as well as 4 available inserts and a graphic for processing. As far as the subs you could still feed the AUX into the Matrix in the drop down menus. Or use the MONO bus and then route that through a Matrix before hitting the EV to free up an AUX. Does any body know if theres a small amount if any delay since the subs are doing an A-D switch and then back again before hitting the power amp? I wonder if itd be worth getting a high quality analogue crossover and and using graphics/parametrics on the VENUE to shape the sub EQ? That way no conversion.....just a thought.

George Dougherty

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:20:23 PM »

Just keep running from your Matrix Outs. That way you have built in delay that you can control from FOH as well as 4 available inserts and a graphic for processing. As far as the subs you could still feed the AUX into the Matrix in the drop down menus. Or use the MONO bus and then route that through a Matrix before hitting the EV to free up an AUX. Does any body know if theres a small amount if any delay since the subs are doing an A-D switch and then back again before hitting the power amp? I wonder if itd be worth getting a high quality analogue crossover and and using graphics/parametrics on the VENUE to shape the sub EQ? That way no conversion.....just a thought.

For sub duty, any latency added by the IT6000 would be negligible.  Something at a lower price point than the I-Tech coupled with an analog crossover would probably be adequate and lower cost though.  Downside, you lose all the IT6000 processing if you decided you wanted to use it for something else after selling off the EV processor.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:20:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.