Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > H.O.W. AV Archive

Video Editing Workstation

<< < (4/4)

Christy L Manoppo (okky):
Quote:
--to 1:1 render times -- stretches way beyond 1:1--

What is "render times" ? I'm sorry if I sounded stupid, but I'm little bit confused here.

As Arnold said, we use DVD-R media to record our services, but when we want to store it into the internet for more viewing options, the quality is just dissapointing.

As I follow through this thread, it's obvious that we dont need that much of CPU horsepower for doing simple DV editing tasks.

FYI, here's the flow..

for post, we did like this:
from dvd (mpeg2), devode it to AVI, then all the editing goes in AVI, then back to DVD (mpeg2) again.

For now, I think some of the culprits for the bad quality of our recordings
1. We need a better mixer/switcher for key-ing. Our text and video goes to the projectors at the same time, this is done in the PC with Easyworship software, which has the "live-video feed with text" feature.
2. Instead of putting it all to DVD, maybe we need a Hard Disk Recorder, so we just need to copy the video files, instead of extracting the video from DVD, thus eliminating the encoding/transcoding process.

Karl P(eterson):
Okky,

When I say render times, I mean the amount of time it takes for the video editing program, after you've finished editing, to "spit out" the final product in a single video.

Rendering doesn't include when you are pulling the video from your device (copying DVD TS Files to your computer, or importing a stream from your (H)DV cam, that is called ingesting.

Rendering doesn't (normally) include how much time it takes to make the video ready to render, also known as pre-render transcoding (although hopefully if you did your ingest right, you won't have to do this).

Rendering doesn't include how much time it takes to record your finished project to media (either burn to DVD, bounce to tape, etc).

Your switcher doesn't look that terrible honestly, I doubt replacing it would bring up your end quality substantially unless it is truly the weakest link in the chain.

Does the quality on your preview monitor or projector look good? Does the DVD straight off the original recorder look good? The question I am trying to ask is where in your chain does the quality start to look bad?

Where the quality starts to diminish is where we need to look for the problem.

This may be in the camera itself, or it may be in one of the transcodes.

Your switcher includes the ability for Luma or Chroma Key, You should try letting the video camera go straight through the switcher and key in your words with Chroma or Luma.

Karl P

Arnold B. Krueger:
Christy L  Manoppo (okky) wrote on Sat, 03 July

from dvd (mpeg2), devode it to AVI, then all the editing goes in AVI, then back to DVD (mpeg2) again.

What editing software?

When you say AVI which subformat of AVI are you talking about. Isn't your editing software using DV/AVI as your working format?

Quote:

For now, I think some of the culprits for the bad quality of our recordings
1. We need a better mixer/switcher for key-ing. Our text and video goes to the projectors at the same time, this is done in the PC with Easyworship software, which has the "live-video feed with text" feature.

What mxier? I haven't done a ton of keying with our mixer, but its not elegant, and it seems to do a good job. Our mixer is a Roland Krossfour.

Quote:

2. Instead of putting it all to DVD, maybe we need a Hard Disk Recorder, so we just need to copy the video files, instead of extracting the video from DVD, thus eliminating the encoding/transcoding process.

Hard disk video recorders typically compress the video data they store on their hard drives, pretty much the same as DVD recorders. I've used both. IME minimally compressed DVR video does an acceptable job in a NTSC context.

I woulod recommend that you do some troubleshooting, using a custom burned DVD with various samples and trdy ptterns.

Here are some xamples of video test patterns:

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/test-patterns/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version