ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SpeakerPower Torpedo SP1-4000 Plate Amp Review  (Read 24470 times)

Brian Oppegaard

• SpeakerPower Inc
Re: SpeakerPower Torpedo SP1-4000 Plate Amp Review
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 12:29:44 AM »

Given proper 120 volt ac, all the amps I have mentioned will meet their rated specifications on the bench.
Other than differences in storage capacity,  and different limiting approaches, I don’t know enough about amp design to give any technical reasons as to why one amp may be better than another for different usages.

My reply #4  goes into some differences under brownout conditions, all too common in the weekend warrior world, and more common even in “pro” power distribution than most would like to admit.

I had subscribed to the “heavy iron” makes better bass opinion, but at only 7 pounds, Brian Oppegaard’s Torpedo SP1-4000, designed specifically for musical  low frequency,  blows that concept out of the water.

That said, lightweight amps still need heavy cable on the AC side to deliver full output, though the SP1-4000 reduces that  dependence too.

I'll never again buy an amp based only on specifications.

Art Welter

Update: This amp is now available in 208-240VAC version to reduce the current required of the AC mains. The power increases to 6000W at 2 ohms. Specs of power versus time are at http://www.speakerpower.net/comparative-performance.html. Rack mount versions are also available.
Brian Oppegaard
SpeakerPower Inc.
www.speakerpower.net

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: SpeakerPower Torpedo SP1-4000 Plate Amp Review
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 12:29:44 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.