ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED with good white light?  (Read 8102 times)

justin waters

LED with good white light?
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »

I recently donated some LED PARs (ADJ 64 something or others) and realized after I got everything installed that there was no White (I dont have a lot of experience with lighting and just assumed that all LEDs had white since my personal ones do.)  We have been dealing with it for about 6 months now and I'm sick of having to back off the green and blue a lot to get a decent color out of them when we want just natural lighting.  I would rather keep it LED since I would have to run a new circuit if I went with traditional PAR cans.  The building was built about 50 years ago so its not very friendly to lighting and sound.  Anyone out there have any suggestions as to what a good solution would be?  

George Linkenhoker

Re: LED with good white light?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:09:28 PM »

Hi Justin,

Unfortunately, it becomes a give and take with the LED fixtures that are out there. You can get some beautiful colors but almost every RGB LED can is rough on white.  Any of the RGB color mixing fixtures out there will have some degree of incorrect color if you put all three colors at full, they are not designed to think that when all the colors go 100% that you want them to balance into a white color.  For example, the Elation DLED36 and Chauvet Colorados both seem to me to have too much red when all the colors are at full.  Backing the red down some on those fixtures results in a bright white or to get more of an incandescent white you have to back off on red and blue a bit.  

As far as replacing your fixtures themselves, there are obviously those that are supposed to be better at making white.  ETC's Selador Lustr series is supposed to be able to make a great range of colors including a clear white light, though I imagine there is some degree of intensity difference between the colors involved and not simply 100% on for every color.  Some newer fixtures are coming out taking the cue of more colors of LEDs is a better thing. Elation Design Brick 70 is an RGB amber white fixture.  Both of those fixtures are much more expensive than the ADJ cans you mention having.  I honestly can't recall any from Chauvet having a set of white LEDs with the RGBs.  

What fixtures are you currently using that do include the white LEDs?

justin waters

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »

Sorry, I guess I wasnt very clear about the can I use personally.  They don't have white LEDs, rather at full power its "white."  These ADJ cans are really blue, and they look great for anything other than a natural white or yellow color.  Its a small stage, maybe 20' or so wide so I wouldnt mind spending some cash to get the center lit up in a good color.  I just cant justify buying 8 to 10 cans at $400-500 each.  But if I can get it fixed in the $500-$750 range I would be happy.  There is a good bit of florescent lights in there that doesnt help the situation either.  If I had to run a circuit for some halogen lamps it can be done, I would just rather not  Razz

John Fiorello

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 02:47:49 PM »

Yeah, the chauvet stuff that doesn't have xtra bulbs throw a pretty cool white, but hey, they're really cheap!

They also make white-only lights (they're for pin-spotting) that we use when we have people speaking (instead of a band).  You'll need a few of them to get even light over a long space, and we don't know anything about your space yet...

If you could post a pic, that would be really helpful...

But they're pretty cheap, I think I paid $50 a piece for them.  And because of the low power, you can daisy chain a whole bunch of them together for an even wash.

They also throw a cooler white, but you obviously don't get any of that RGB color mixing or shadows like you do with the larger cans.

JF
Stop. Think. Speak.

John Fiorello

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 02:48:59 PM »

John Fiorello wrote on Sun, 08 November 2009 14:47

They also make white-only lights

Sorry, I forgot the link Smile

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/led-rain-36.html

JF
Stop. Think. Speak.

justin waters

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 11:59:38 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I need to head down there today anyway, Ill take a pic or 2 and get them posted.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 11:59:38 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.