ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feedback Destroyer  (Read 66824 times)

Wes Thompson

Feedback Destroyer
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »

Hello All,

I spent some time today re-ringing the FB in today and I have some questions and observations.  This discussion started in a previous thread.

http://churchsound.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/15153/0/ 0/467ea867033bc91e8bccc01602f37d55/

The FB is set up on Subs 1 and 2 of my main house mixer.  Vocals only are set to go through this unit.  It is the 99 dollar B-word unit.  I have the 2 channels daisy chained to give me 24 filters instead of 12.

Per a previous conversation, I need to set each filter up as a single shot.  Once I get a lock on a filter, I need to switch the filter over to parametric to avoid the deepening and widening of the filter in single shot mode.  For me, as soon as I switched the filter over to parametric it seems like the filter is no longer in place and the feedback re-appears.  I am not familiar enough with this unit and did not have a manual handy to try to manually deepen or widen the filters.  It seems to me like the single shot mode works really well.  Once a frequency is detected, the channel mode shows me LO for "locked".

I discovered another error in my setup as well.  Previously I would set all filters to single shot mode and start ringing in the lavs.  I just happened to notice 2 filters kick on at the same time for a frequency.  Due to the fact that the unit is daisy chained, you need to disable the right channel 12 filters and ring in the first 12 left channel filters first.  Once they are locked, then you can set the second set of filters for single shot to catch any additional rings.  I left the last two filters off and set them to auto once I was done ringing the lavs in.  

This unit seems to serve its purpose very well.  I can get much more gain out of the lavs with this unit.  It also gets me much better gain out of my choir mics.  (They are on another preset).  For being a cheap unit I can't complain.  It is not very user friendly, but once you get it set up it is easy enough to switch between presets.  It is just the parametric mode that I can't seem to get a handle on.

For a room that is like an echo chamber with two array style speakers (Bose 802s) mounted left and right this little unit has done wonders for improving our gain.  You can walk all over the entire room and unless you are standing right below the speakers there is zero feedback.

When we get funding available in the next few years, you can bet that I will be replacing this with one of those Sabine units.  I will be glad to get rid of the Bose stuff too!  Any inputs, advice, or observations are greatly appreciated.

-Wes

ProSoundWeb Community

Feedback Destroyer
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.