ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-track recording from a digital desk  (Read 2187 times)

Kevin Lewins

Multi-track recording from a digital desk
« on: September 26, 2009, 07:45:54 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I am currently a in charge of the sound for a church in the north east of england, I have been volunteering for around 2 years now and have learned most of what I know from forums like these.

We have a Roland M400 digital desk which we have been using for around a year now. I have been recording through an auxiliary mix with the on board usb capability and cd. This works reasonably well however it is difficult to get the mix right as I am trying to sort the mains out at the same time. We can't set everything the same each week as we have different musicians every time.

We probably use around 20 channels each week and if I were to use the multi tracks I would need to play with them at home.

Roland recommend taking a cat5 cable out of the desk straight into a pc with cakewalks sonar installed. I don't know anything about this, so I can make an informed decision on buying this software.

Would anyone recommend this or would some other method be better?

Thanks

Kevin

Dan Costello

Re: Multi-track recording from a digital desk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »

Roland & Cakewalk are part of the same company.

From this page, it looks like this multitrack recording will only work with Sonar, since it's Cakewalk wrote the driver for a proprietary Roland protocol.

Others with some experience may be able to offer other suggestions, but from what I can see of that board, this is your only option w/o buying a bunch of extra equipment.

-Dan.
Dan Costello

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

Mike Galica

• http://www.maskilstudios.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »

SONAR is also a fairly intuitive program.  The console view makes you feel like you're using a mixer, so the learning curve that was is better.
Mike Galica

Kevin Lewins

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 05:29:52 PM »

Thanks for the reply's. I have tried sonar as you can download a free trial, I thought it looked fairly intutive. There are a number of versions ranging from

Dan Costello

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »

Kevin Lewins wrote on Sat, 26 September 2009 17:29

Would this require 2 licenses?

Maybe. I'm of the opinion that it's morally ok and within the spirit of copyright protections to install one copy in multiple places so long as only one is in use at any given time. It is a bit of a grey area and doing so may require defeating some technological copyright protection scheme, which brings its own legal issues (laws that I think are bogus, but are on the books nonetheless). Though now I see that you're in England, so things may be a bit different for you.

Quote:

The desk also has an optical out which can be used with an edirol interface, although I don't know what the benefits of this are.

Optical SPDIF is only 2 channels. You could record your 2-mix, but not the multitrack.

Quote:

Would a multitrack standalone recorder be appropriate? How much would a one for this aplication cost? Would it require splits from the xlrs?

It would work, but you'd wind up spending a lot more money. The recorder is $1500+, the splitter is at least a few hundred, then you need the appropriate snakes, which are another few hundred or more, depending on exactly what length you'd need.

Your options are pretty limited because of the lack of i/o capabilities on the Roland. As far as I can tell, the ethernet output is the only way to do this w/o buying a whole separate recording system. You might want to call Cakewalk and see what versions of Sonar are compatible with this driver. If it'll work with Home Studio, you can get it done under $100.

-Dan.
Dan Costello

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

Trevor Lindberg

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 11:34:46 PM »

There is a church close to us here that has been using the RSS M400 and Cakewalk sytem for over a year. They have a website www.experiencechurch.tv that will let you hear what the package can sound like. The way it works together makes it a very attractive system and if we did not already own an Aviom system (no interface options for Roland) we would have bought it as well.
Blessings
Trevor

Benamin John Brunskill

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 11:40:19 PM »

I would just get Sonar.
It's not hugely expensive, and with your Roland desk, you will get instant results. And provided your gain structure is set up well, you will get good quality tracks recorded and you can mix and tweek as much as you like.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 11:40:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 25 queries.