ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Un-Recruiting Old Sound Techs  (Read 4409 times)

DaveGetting

Re: Un-Recruiting Old Sound Techs
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

To answer some of the questions.  I do 'lead' the sound team at our church.  It is a volunteer position for all of us - that's where I struggle with the authority.  Both of these guys have been on the team longer than I have.  

I have written a doc that goes into the how's and why's of what we do.  I haven't sent it to the team as I started to have the feeling my expectations were too high.  We have a simple setup - it isn't much deeper than mute/unmute, raise/lower levels and advance slides for songs.  Our equipment stays setup.  We have the same band members/equipment.  Each vocalist has their own mic/channel (recent change).  The Easy Worship schedule is setup by someone else.  

I forget about the outside influences impacting our day to day.  
Dave
Aurora, IL

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »

For the youngin' situation:

If I were you, I'd flip the polarity on a few mics or turn up an aux send to the monitors so something starts to feedback - keep that boy on his toes!  There's nothing wrong with a little pride-bashing, is there? Smile

I'm 22 and know that I don't know everything.  I am confident in my abilities, but am also willing to admit my faults and learn from those occasions which go badly.  THAT is this young person's issue, methinks - he is not willing to learn.  That is the reason I say play around with him - it's very sobering to have stuff blow up in your face when "you know everything".

For the old-timer:

Let him know that his first responsibility is to serve the congregation using the talents God has given him - that is why we do what we do in our various churches, isn't it?  It's something we are gifted in (hopefully).  If he is focusing on his own agenda, he needs to rethink his position before you (or the person in charge) does it for him.
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

DaveGetting

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 11:21:44 AM »

Jordan Wolf wrote on Tue, 06 October 2009 10:10

For the youngin' situation:

If I were you, I'd flip the polarity on a few mics or turn up an aux send to the monitors so something starts to feedback - keep that boy on his toes!  There's nothing wrong with a little pride-bashing, is there? Smile

I'm 22 and know that I don't know everything.  I am confident in my abilities, but am also willing to admit my faults and learn from those occasions which go badly.  THAT is this young person's issue, methinks - he is not willing to learn.  That is the reason I say play around with him - it's very sobering to have stuff blow up in your face when "you know everything".

It happened.  Not on purpose...he threw his hands up in the air...

Laughing

We had a different situation a few weeks ago with two of our newer techs in the booth.  I was singing this day.  During the sermon one of the guys powered of the surge protector...

I see the 'no signal detected' pop up on the screen.  My wife asks what happened and am I going to go fix it.  I was going to give them time to figure it out - that's how people learn.  Within 5 minutes they had the PC back online with the sermon slides loaded.

I went back at the end of the service and I think they were both expecting me to bust their chops.  I applauded them for getting it fixed.  Mistakes are going to happen - what do you do to minimize the impact?
Dave
Aurora, IL

ak909

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 10:42:55 PM »

I'm not a real "pray your problems away" kinda guy but then again I freelance and don't volunteer at any church unless I want to. No check?, call someone else. So as far as giving you advice in the Christian sense, no go buddy.  

FWIW, I learned a good trick from an old roadie I used to know...
may he R.I.P.

Make a big sign saying "No Attitudes Allowed", (of course thats the clean version) then tape it to a mic stand and place right in front of the entrance to the booth or studio or whatever.

Works like a charm.

You can also make ones for
No girlfriends
No food/drinks
No sandals
No DJs
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/adlen60062/givesig.png
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/3 28634-more-free-stuff-lets-do-again.html

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 10:42:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.