ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: zoom R16  (Read 2997 times)

Christy L Manoppo (okky)

zoom R16
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:01:35 AM »

Hi guys, are there anyone already use this multi-track recorder?

The music team are planning to make a "humble" recording this year, and I'm in charge to make the decision,
- either go to a recording studio,
- or purchase a multi-track digital recorder..

budget is a big issue, and I want to try to cut as much as I can. Also, with this, I can explore new things.

Also, this unit can be handy to make future recordings as well, maybe like a live recording.

I know I can't compare the quality studio recording facility. But for this price tag with its features... It seems it might the solution.

links
... http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=20 09

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/366508-zoom-r16-any-experience-opinions.html" target="_blank"> ...http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/366508-zoom -r16-any-experience-opinions.html
Christy L Manoppo
Coordinator for AVL Dept,
Bethany Indonesian Church of GOD,
Philadelphia, PA

Perfect? we can't. Excellent? We can.

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
Re: zoom R16
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »

Christy L  Manoppo (okky) wrote on Mon, 14 September 2009 05:01

Hi guys, are there anyone already use this multi-track recorder?

The music team are planning to make a "humble" recording this year, and I'm in charge to make the decision,
- either go to a recording studio,
- or purchase a multi-track digital recorder..

budget is a big issue, and I want to try to cut as much as I can. Also, with this, I can explore new things.

Also, this unit can be handy to make future recordings as well, maybe like a live recording.

I know I can't compare the quality studio recording facility. But for this price tag with its features... It seems it might the solution.

For $399 you can get the R16 which seems like a real 8 simultaneous track recorder with 8 mic pres, recording to modern SD card memory of up to 32 GB. It is also a real-time audio interface for a PC with 8 mic preamps and some potentially nice trimmings.

I don't obsess over mic preamp quality like some, I'd rather obsess over mic choice and placement. 32 GB will give you some serious milage for recording 8 tracks - maybe 12 hours or more and of course even longer for fewer tracks. I don't see it as being that much less, capacity or sound quality wise than the studio equipment you'd buy for any reasonable price.

But, I've never had one hands-on so what do I know about that? I do know that inexpensive mic preamps and digital gear aren't the horrors that they used to be.

On balance, you can get a M-Audio Delta 1010LT, and turn an existing console with direct outs or inserts and a 1-5 year old computer worth less than $500 into a similar thing, only not so portable.  

Furthermore, if do your recording from direct outs or inserts you don't have to worry about how to use the same mics and other inputs for both live sound and recording.

Frankly, if you hook an 8 input line level input audio interface or the R16 to a console, just the 8 cables will cost you as much or more than the computer interface, and could even be a good fraction of the cost of the R16. So don't forget to budget for them in your letter of recommendation to the board.

If I had to do remote jobs around the church and elsewhere, and not be stuck in just one place, I'd prefer the Zoom as I perceive it to be. I look at it like it is a wide, capacious, plug-in Microtrack. Wink  

However, setting up a full 8 track recording session right is never a 5 minute job. Setting up a computer may seem like a hassle, but its probably a far smaller part of the total job, even if it is a desktop with a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Either way I would do all my serious mixing and editing on a computer with a disc burner. The computer minus the interface and would be part of the cost of good audio production (more stuff to put into that recommendation letter unless you have one kicking around), either way. So, don't count its cost to just one approach count, it to both, since you will need it regardless.

Craig Nuffer

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »

Forgive me for my ignorance, but isn't the Samson R16 really an 8 track recorder? I'm fairly new to this, and have only done live recording, so I am just trying to educate myself. I would assume that since there are only 8 channels available, that if, say 12 channels were needed, that the group being recorded would need to run through their material twice. Then the first 8 track could be combined with the second 4 tracks (for the total of 12). Is that the way multi-track recording is done?
 When a recording is made, aren't all of the tracks essentially a different recording, that are combined in the software?
 I don't mean to knock a product that I know nothing about, I'm just trying to understand this.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Craig

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »

pros of buying a setup
You can record any time you want and do not have to co-ordinate with a studio.
If you don't like the song selection or something like that you will only waste time and not money by not using something you paid a studio to record.
Pros of recording in a studio
You may get a better quality recording in less time. There will be a learning curve for you when you get your equipment and it may take a good bit of time depending on your skill level to get a decent recording.

There might be high quality microphones available (and a person which knows how to use them) which can make a difference.

If you have the time and are not on a schedule to produce something then buying the equipment would be a route you could take.

If you have one shot and a limited time to do it in go with the studio.

note: you may buy the equipment and still find out you may need to use a recording studio to get the quality you are expecting.

Other things to consider licensing...a subject discussed ad nausium in other posts. Some studios can help you with this. If your recording it you will have to do this yourself for sure.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.