ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setup Advice: Outdoor Nightclub  (Read 5634 times)

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
Setup Advice: Outdoor Nightclub
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:08:44 AM »

Hi all, looking for some setup advice for an outdoor nightclub based around an Olympic sized swimming pool.

Here is a (not to scale) diagram of the layout of the venue.

The swimming pool is approx 162 ft. x 82 ft with about an extra 20 ft. perimeter around the pool.
Estimated venue capacity is 700-1200 depending on the night.

The bulk of the crowd will be clustered around the main bar on the left. Looking for ideas on the best way to set this up for most even coverage and volume around the perimeter.

I have access to the following equipment to possibly rent/buy: (Don't worry about ROI if I'm buying- I'll handle that)

JBL SRX 718s and or 728s
JBL SRX 712m
JBL SRX 722/725
JBL VRX 932LA
JBL VT 4886

All run on ITech8000's using the IT processing.

Which boxes, and how many should I select to cover this? The budget is slim, but acceptable per show, so the system must simply be "fit for use." If the VRX or VT boxes are used, they would be pole mounted. I'm not having anything flown for this budget.

What kind of placement would you go for here? Music must be heard all around the pool, but again, most of the punch needs to be on that left side. If there is any other info I need to include please let me know.

Thanks.

Nick

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Re: Setup Advice: Outdoor Nightclub
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:37:12 AM »

The type/amount of equipment you decide on will depend on where the sound needs to be focused.  Are you needing to cover the entire area, or just the area in front of the stage?  What does the customer want/need?

The location they have for the stage area is awkward.  The brick wall (how high is it) can be your friend (or enemy) depending on how the sound needs to be distributed.

If you have the choice, a couple of SRX718 and SRX722 should do the job very well for the area in front of the stage (and beyond).  If they need sound over the entire area, maybe a couple of the SRX725 running "full-range" pointing over the pool area (in addition to what you may have for the area in front of the stage) will do it.

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »

Robert, Thanks for the reply.

It's a nightclub so t he stage is going to really (most often) be a DJ booth from what I understand.

To answer you questions, I need coverage all around the pool not just in front of the stage.
The area to the left in the diagram by the main bar on the left side is where the bulk of people will congregate.
The brick wall is high- its a building, not a retainer wall or the like.

I am worried about mad comb filtering- the venue is not that wide. I am also worried about coverage at the back of the venue - opposite side of the stage. In the past, a problem with this club has been huge SPL was being needed to get the overall volume for the number of people, but the ground stacks by the stage and the Left top of the diagram were blasting out the crowd in front of them and those patrons by the back of the venue were complaining to turn it up. Maybe a stack in the rear of the venue as well?

Thanks again in advance.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »

Hi all, looking for some setup advice for an outdoor nightclub based around an Olympic sized swimming pool.

Here is a (not to scale) diagram of the layout of the venue.

The swimming pool is approx 162 ft. x 82 ft with about an extra 20 ft. perimeter around the pool.
Estimated venue capacity is 700-1200 depending on the night.

The bulk of the crowd will be clustered around the main bar on the left. Looking for ideas on the best way to set this up for most even coverage and volume around the perimeter.

I have access to the following equipment to possibly rent/buy: (Don't worry about ROI if I'm buying- I'll handle that)

JBL SRX 718s and or 728s
JBL SRX 712m
JBL SRX 722/725
JBL VRX 932LA
JBL VT 4886

All run on ITech8000's using the IT processing.

Which boxes, and how many should I select to cover this? The budget is slim, but acceptable per show, so the system must simply be "fit for use." If the VRX or VT boxes are used, they would be pole mounted. I'm not having anything flown for this budget.

What kind of placement would you go for here? Music must be heard all around the pool, but again, most of the punch needs to be on that left side. If there is any other info I need to include please let me know.

Thanks.

Nick

Nick, here it is - just the pool and its perimeter - drawn to scale so others can visualize it.  Pool is not perfectly centered but dimensions are exact.
Edit: there, that should work...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:38:42 PM by Chris Davis »

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:42:04 PM »

Nick,

Out of your list, I'd recommend some medium to narrow coverage trap boxes on sticks left and right, and delays farther back along the pool, plus whatever to cover the area at the top of the pool/side of the stage.  Time everything back to the stage.  Keep in mind, you have one BIG REFLECTIVE SURFACE in the middle that theoretically, nobody will be standing (swimming) in.  At least, not on purpose anyway.

Forget stereo.  Nobody in this venue is going to be in any stereo sound field given where the stage and pool sit.  Distributed mono is the way to fly here.

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »

Chris,

Thank you for the correction on the drawing!

Brian,

Thank you for the advice. I agree that's probably the best approach. Good point about stereo/mono. Definitely taking that approach. Much appreciated!

Haha, someone ends up in the pool every year, but by that point they are too hammered to hear anything!

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 02:02:38 AM »

Chris,

Thank you for the correction on the drawing!

Brian,

Thank you for the advice. I agree that's probably the best approach. Good point about stereo/mono. Definitely taking that approach. Much appreciated!

Haha, someone ends up in the pool every year, but by that point they are too hammered to hear anything!

I took another look at your numbers, and basically you have 11360 square feet of space for people to stand (not including the swimming pool).  That works out to an equivalent size area of about 100' x 113.6' area for people to stand on (including the DJ booth and the bars).  I have had around 1300 dancing in an empty square space of about those dimensions, but it was packed pretty well.  In your case, people will probably pack in away from the pool so they don't fall in.  There isn't really a point to my doing this, other than 1200 people around a pool seems like a lot.  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:04:42 AM by Chris Davis »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:46:11 AM »

The brick wall is high- its a building, not a retainer wall or the like.

I am worried about mad comb filtering- the venue is not that wide. I am also worried about coverage at the back of the venue - opposite side of the stage. In the past, a problem with this club has been huge SPL was being needed to get the overall volume for the number of people, but the ground stacks by the stage and the Left top of the diagram were blasting out the crowd in front of them and those patrons by the back of the venue were complaining to turn it up.
Sort of reading between the lines, but are levels to adjacent properties or at the property line a concern?

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »

@ Chris: Good point. Actually there are VIP tables around the perimeter of the pool. I was told the max number of patrons was 1200, but my meeting yesterday with current management clarified that that number was inflated. I never really took the time to run the numbers. It could be a little more than a 20 ft. perimeter I was just estimating, but regardless. That 1200 figure was old information from previous people who were involved. Looks like we're looking at closer to 700 max capacity.

@ Brad: That's not the case at all. They want me to try and get the cops called. Not literally, but they want it LOUD. Their vision is the replication of any popular Miami or Vegas outdoor pool club. I told them their issue was coverage- as that's what I believe it to be. At first he just seemed to care about how big the front stacks were, but once I explained my concerns and solutions he agreed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:50:32 PM by Nick Pignetti »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 25 queries.