ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Startup PA system for band  (Read 5506 times)

Alex Hernandez

• The Royal Rhythmaires
Startup PA system for band
« on: April 19, 2011, 11:28:52 PM »

Looking into getting a PA system for my band.

Vocal
2 saxes
Keyboard w/amp
Bass w/amp
Drums

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Behringer-Xenyx-X2442USB---Harbinger-APS15-PA-Package-431056-i1563100.gc

Only need to run vocals through one speaker as a main at rehearsal and use the other one with vocal and a little piano as a vocal monitor.  This will 95% of the time be used for rehearsals at my house.  In the future, I'd like to add some more powerful 15" mains and use the ones that come in the kit as monitors.  Am I on the right track? Cost is an issue and this definitely seems to be the best bang for the buck in this price range. I'd like to keep it under $1000. Ideas or suggestions?

Vince Gibbs

• The only thing constant in life is change.
    • Pure Sound Entertainment LLC
Re: Startup PA system for band
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:19:34 AM »

Vocal
2 saxes
Keyboard w/amp
Bass w/amp
Drums

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Behringer-Xenyx-X2442USB---Harbinger-APS15-PA-Package-431056-i1563100.gc

Only need to run vocals through one speaker as a main at rehearsal and use the other one with vocal and a little piano as a vocal monitor.  This will 95% of the time be used for rehearsals at my house.  In the future, I'd like to add some more powerful 15" mains and use the ones that come in the kit as monitors.  Am I on the right track? Cost is an issue and this definitely seems to be the best bang for the buck in this price range. I'd like to keep it under $1000. Ideas or suggestions?

Hello Alex,

One thing you'll need to know is that most people will not publicly endorse Behringer products, especially on the internet.  However, I have some Behringer items that work very well for me.  So sometimes, especially when it comes to Behringer, it just depends.  Depending on what you are looking at, it could be a 50/50 chance that it will be dependable and work out for you.  Behringer doesn't have a good track record for making reliable gear.

The thing with Behringer is that you will usually spend a little bit of money on something that will get you by for now.  But then it ends up breaking on you and you end up having to replace it sooner than later.  Therefore you end up spending more money in the long run.

If I were you, I would look at other mixers.  Yes, they will cost more, but they will last longer and provide a better quality of sound… especially in the mic preamps.  I had a 24 channel Behringer mixer once.  I returned it because of the lousy preamps in it.  I had to turn them all the way up to 3:00 just to get a decent signal.  That’s not good, imo.  So I got rid of it before it broke on me or gave me any other issues.

The Yamaha MG series is a great affordable line of mixers.  Even a Mackie would be better than that Behringer.  Say you spend around $400 or so on a Yamaha, that leaves you with $600 to purchase some speakers.  That’s not a lot, but maybe you could find some good speakers used on Craigslist or in a pawn shop.  I’d just rather see you buy good used equipment than lousy new equipment.  So that’s my personal advice.

Good luck!
Vince Gibbs
Pure Sound Entertainment LLC
www.puresoundent.com

Adrian Delso

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:46 AM »

Hello Alex,

One thing you'll need to know is that most people will not publicly endorse Behringer products, especially on the internet.  However, I have some Behringer items that work very well for me.  So sometimes, especially when it comes to Behringer, it just depends.  Depending on what you are looking at, it could be a 50/50 chance that it will be dependable and work out for you.  Behringer doesn't have a good track record for making reliable gear.

The thing with Behringer is that you will usually spend a little bit of money on something that will get you by for now.  But then it ends up breaking on you and you end up having to replace it sooner than later.  Therefore you end up spending more money in the long run.

If I were you, I would look at other mixers.  Yes, they will cost more, but they will last longer and provide a better quality of sound… especially in the mic preamps.  I had a 24 channel Behringer mixer once.  I returned it because of the lousy preamps in it.  I had to turn them all the way up to 3:00 just to get a decent signal.  That’s not good, imo.  So I got rid of it before it broke on me or gave me any other issues.

The Yamaha MG series is a great affordable line of mixers.  Even a Mackie would be better than that Behringer.  Say you spend around $400 or so on a Yamaha, that leaves you with $600 to purchase some speakers.  That’s not a lot, but maybe you could find some good speakers used on Craigslist or in a pawn shop.  I’d just rather see you buy good used equipment than lousy new equipment.  So that’s my personal advice.

Good luck!

Amen to that. We use a Behringer for practice only. Peavey for gigging.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:51:40 AM by Delso »

Bill MacFie

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »

Amen to that. We use a Behringer for practice only. Peavey for gigging.

You can find decent deals on Ebay/Craigslist on the Yamaha MG series. I picked a MG206C (20 channels) for my son's band a few years ago for only about $300....they've used for three years now and it's hasn't hiccuped yet. I just got a A&H MixWizard for them because my wife's school (she's a music teacher) needed to replace their Behringer mixer that had a bunch of channels crap out....so I'm selling them the Yamaha. (nice excuse to upgrade to the MixWiz).

Just pulled this off Ebay...16 channels, compression and on-board effects. Is it the top of the line? No, but good solid workhorse equipment.  http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-MG166CX-Live-Sound-Mixer-/140536185927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b89c0447#ht_1495wt_1141

Good luck!

Vince Gibbs

• The only thing constant in life is change.
    • Pure Sound Entertainment LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 03:13:29 AM »

Hey Adrian!

Are you the Delso from vsplanet and virtual planet?

If so, it's me Vince (FunkyBeat) here.  :)
Vince Gibbs
Pure Sound Entertainment LLC
www.puresoundent.com

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »

Hey Adrian!

Are you the Delso from vsplanet and virtual planet?

If so, it's me Vince (FunkyBeat) here.  :)
Appears like this might have been a good use of Private Messaging.  ;)

One thing that you'll find is that many of the people here look at their gear in terms of return on investment.  If you were renting out your system or anything like that then the GC packaged system you linked would probably have very limited value and that is how those looking at it that way will respond.  What value is has to you is something only you can define and with your budget something like the packaged system noted or picking up used gear may be your only options.  I do suggest listening to at least some of the major components such as the mics, mixer and speakers before buying it.

I did get a chuckle out of the Harbinger APPS15 specifications with a peak output of 121dB at 1m but a long-term output of only 98dB at 1m.  I first thought it was a typo but apparently not and while I do not know how those values were established, they suggest that you might want to plan on not trying to run the speakers very hard for any period of time.

David Hoover

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »

Vocal
2 saxes
Keyboard w/amp
Bass w/amp
Drums

Looking at a future for you, this is what I'd do: I went to a local shop and listened to some speakers a few months ago because I needed some decent speakers and I'd always overlooked the plastic Peaveys because they look like garbage, but I would suggest getting some Peavey PR-12's or PR-15's.  I bought 4 of the PR-12's because I run subs and the 12's had clearer vocals/mids than the 15's.  These speakers actually sound really good and I blast them with an XTI2000 at outreaches.  They require minimal EQing if any.  If you want the low end, get the 15's, if you want a bit more midrange clarity, get the 12's.  The 12's run $169 and the 15's $219 last time I checked.  You can't go wrong.  The store owner said he stopped selling the dual 15" Peaveys unless they are in selling season because the PR's are preferred by customers because they sound cleaner.  What I did is bought a Yamaha 01V off of EBAY for $500.  The darn thing works perfect and won't break!  I've had it for like 2-3 years now.  You can also get a crown XTI1000 off of ebay for $270 brand new.

If it were me, I would do the Peavey PR speakers (local store), with the Crown XTI amp and Yamaha 01V from Ebay.  Extremely flexible and giggable set up at that point if you choose to do so.  That might run you $1100 or so and with some good mics/cables $1500.  Worth it in my opinion.  Ebay might still be doing 6 months no interest pay later (am I allowed to say that on here?).  Anyway, that's what I did when I bought my Pro Tools rack and payed it off in 3 months.  Then, if you want to use that as mains later, get cheapo monitors and an amp and you're good to go for monitors!

Recap - Peavey PR-12's or 15's, Crown XTI1000, Yamaha 01V is my suggestion for you.

Alex Hernandez

• The Royal Rhythmaires
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:21:33 PM »

Wow. Thanks all for the info! I have used Yamaha equip before in the past and never had a problem. I think I will goo that route. May h e to go used for price range  My new plan:

Yamaha MG166. I'd like to get at least two monitor mixes.

Gonna pick up some 15" powered speakers. I've seen a few mackie thump speakers going pretty cheap.  Any specific brand(s) to avoid?

Gonna try to do $300 on a mixer and $200 each speaker. We have cables and mics already. Shure 57/58s, etc for rehearsals.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:21:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.