ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Split screen view of 4 inputs?  (Read 14301 times)

Nick Bair

Split screen view of 4 inputs?
« on: August 02, 2009, 04:47:09 PM »

We are looking for some type of device which would allow us to view a split-screen view of at least 4 inputs on a single monitor. The input format/connectors don't matter--we can get adapters for that kind of thing. We have a switch box to switch between each signal, but we currently have no way of monitoring the unselected inputs, and as such are kind of "running blind." We do not have the space for separate monitors. I appreciate your suggestions!

Karl P(eterson)

Re: Split screen view of 4 inputs?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 08:41:41 PM »

For a high quality device that will take information from computers and dvd players alike, you are in the 10'000$ range if I remember correctly.

If it is just composite video you can normally do something for closer to 3~4'000.

You could use some security camera multiplexers, but those are generally very poor resolution and black and white.

Extron, TVOne and Miranda all make different versions of the box you are looking for.

Note: Often times it will be far cheaper to just figure out a way to mount multiple monitors. Marshall makes some nice rack mount options that while not cheap are certainly cheaper than multiviewers.

Note2: Or you could just pick up one of the new switchers that offers a multiviewer built in. The Panasonic 400AN is a good one.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Brad Weber

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »

Nick Bair wrote on Sun, 02 August 2009 16:47

We are looking for some type of device which would allow us to view a split-screen view of at least 4 inputs on a single monitor. The input format/connectors don't matter--we can get adapters for that kind of thing.

It's not just a matter of adapters and as Karl said, a device that can accept multiple different video formats including video and computer graphics and then display them on one screen is not going to be cheap.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 09:36:22 AM »

Nick Bair wrote on Sun, 02 August 2009 21:47

We are looking for some type of device which would allow us to view a split-screen view of at least 4 inputs on a single monitor.

That is going to require some kind of a screen splitter.

There are products from the security, server farm, and AV product categories that fill various parts of that need. No matter what you've heard, the security market it no longer limited or even oriented to B&W devices. But, it is still very NTSC-driven, with relatively low resolution, particularly for displaying text and graphics.

The kinds of controls and ergonomics that are acceptible in the security and server markets may not be as comfortable in a real-time, larger audience venue.

Quote:

The input format/connectors don't matter--we can get adapters for that kind of thing.

I think you will find that the most economical and effective place for that sort of conversion to take place is inside the screen splitter itself.

Quote:

We have a switch box to switch between each signal, but we currently have no way of monitoring the unselected inputs, and as such are kind of "running blind."

Monitoring is a far easier problem, and potentialy requires nothing more than a splitter for each input, 4 monitors or another switch and a display.

Quote:

We do not have the space for separate monitors.

And that's another problem with lashed-up solutions - they take up space and electrical outlets.

Some good brand names in the (preferred) AV market to look at have been mentioned in this thread already, and of course Google is your friend.

I appreciate your suggestions![/quote]

Nick Bair

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Here's an update for anyone who is interested, or who may stumble upon this thread later.

Our current switcher is a Kramer VP-724xl. We have been very pleased with it, so I contacted Kramer Electronics to see what they had to meet our new needs. The salesperson recommended the VP-727 (http://www.kramerelectronics.com/products/model.asp?pid=434). Although it doesn't do split-screen preview, it does have dual scalers with separate outputs, so we can preview any input before we switch. It seems like a workable solution.

I plan to continue using the current switcher to drive our auditorium projector, and to use the new one to drive the video screens in the overflow area. This will give us more flexibility by allowing us to control those outputs separately.

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:32:22 PM »

That would be a reasonable solution and probably the most effective for your budget and needs.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Emil Barnabas

• http://www.barnabas.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 06:01:03 PM »

I'm currently using a 4 input "Color Quad Processor." There is actually a fifth input that toggles with the fourth input. The buttons on the front let you bring any of the five inputs to full screen. All of the connectors are BNC and accept a composite NTSC signal.

Here is the one I'm using.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/248647720/Color_Quad_Proce ssor.html

I bought it from an online security equipment company. I think it cost about $250.

I'm using it backstage at a state fair stage where I am cueing up videos and looking at audience cameras.

It's been turned on for over a week now with no problems. Last year for this same event, I had multiple monitors which drove me crazy.

I am using this processor with a ViewSonic monitor (17") that has both composite video and computer video inputs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 06:01:03 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.