ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Somewhat Urgent... Telex SAFE 1000 Issues  (Read 7574 times)

Collin Donohue

Somewhat Urgent... Telex SAFE 1000 Issues
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »

Has anyone used the Telex SAFE 1000 encrypted wireless mics before?  No matter what element I use on the beltpacks (included omni mic, Shure WL185, Countryman E6) the sound I get seems to be fine up to about 3k, after which all high end is just GONE.  The same is true for the handheld transmitter.  Tried other mics into those channels on the mixer and the board is working just fine.

My client purchased these and tasked us with making them sound better, but I'm unable to make it sound any better.  They've accepted the fact that it is what it is, but I still want to do everything I can.

Anyone used these before?  The reviews I've dug up all say that they sound great, but first impressions are proving otherwise.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Somewhat Urgent... Telex SAFE 1000 Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

Has anyone used the Telex SAFE 1000 encrypted wireless mics before?  No matter what element I use on the beltpacks (included omni mic, Shure WL185, Countryman E6) the sound I get seems to be fine up to about 3k, after which all high end is just GONE.  The same is true for the handheld transmitter.  Tried other mics into those channels on the mixer and the board is working just fine.

My client purchased these and tasked us with making them sound better, but I'm unable to make it sound any better.  They've accepted the fact that it is what it is, but I still want to do everything I can.

Anyone used these before?  The reviews I've dug up all say that they sound great, but first impressions are proving otherwise.

The manufacturer's spec only lists 100Hz-7000Hz as the audio frequency response. That is better than telephone quality, but not what we would call full frequency response in the pro sound world. There are better choices in encrypted mics these days.

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »

There are better choices in encrypted mics these days.
FAR better choices . . .
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Collin Donohue

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »

There are better choices in encrypted mics these days.
FAR better choices . . .

I'm well aware.  These were purchased by our client (without any recommendations or feedback from us).  They already have some Lectro's but didn't want to spend as much money on more units.  I'm simply trying to help them make the best of the situation.

Even so, I'll take 7k and below, but I'm only getting about 3k and below.  Essentially, I tried to make a wired mic sound like it and basically did a LPF at 2.5k and it sounded just like the Telex. 

Just disappointing, I guess.  I'll find out tomorrow morning how their CEO feels about it!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:11:34 AM »

FAR better choices . . .

I'm well aware.  These were purchased by our client (without any recommendations or feedback from us).  They already have some Lectro's but didn't want to spend as much money on more units.  I'm simply trying to help them make the best of the situation.

Even so, I'll take 7k and below, but I'm only getting about 3k and below.  Essentially, I tried to make a wired mic sound like it and basically did a LPF at 2.5k and it sounded just like the Telex. 

Just disappointing, I guess.  I'll find out tomorrow morning how their CEO feels about it!

I love their reasoning-- this is sooooo damn important we need to encrypt it, but not important enough to spend money on it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Collin Donohue

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 06:02:21 AM »

I love their reasoning-- this is sooooo damn important we need to encrypt it, but not important enough to spend money on it.

You read my mind!

Collin Donohue

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »

Show is over... Could have been a lot less painful.

Any good recommendations out there?

Henry Cohen

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »

Show is over... Could have been a lot less painful.

Any good recommendations out there?

How are you wiring the mics? I'm wondering if you're putting in a cap (ostensibly to block bias voltage) of too high a value and thereby creating a LPF.
Henry Cohen

Collin Donohue

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 02:37:56 PM »

How are you wiring the mics? I'm wondering if you're putting in a cap (ostensibly to block bias voltage) of too high a value and thereby creating a LPF.

Not sure how they ordered them, but any mic we tried, including the handheld transmitters with factory EV heads, all had the same HF issues.

Henry Cohen

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »

Not sure how they ordered them, but any mic we tried, including the handheld transmitters with factory EV heads, all had the same HF issues.

To ask the obvious but obligatory: Any LPF engaged on the console/DSP or transmitters? Does the audio sound the same in other console channels?

Also, do you have any acoustical analysis software (SMAART, SYSTUNE, etc): test from the TX mic input to the receiver output compared to a straight wire.
Henry Cohen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.