ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home audio CD recorders and Serial Copy Management System  (Read 9264 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Home audio CD recorders and Serial Copy Management System
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »

I have a Philps Home Audio CD recorder. I have Fostex D1624 and D824 recorders for 24 track recordings using the Adat out on my Yamaha 01v96.
At home I go adat in and do the mix down then go Coaxial digital out on the yamaha (44.100/16 bit) into my Philps cd recorder.  Just home recordings.
My normal Music CD's I purchase in my area no longer contain the  Serial Copy Management System in them. So of course they no longer work in my recorder.
I'm looking for a source for Music CD's with the SCMS code on them. They should say for Home Audio Recording on them.
Or I'm looking for Memorex MUSIC CD-RW cds, 700mb/80 min/4X speed.
Any ideas as to where I can find these?

Thanks
Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:05:33 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Home audio CD recorders and Serial Copy Management System
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:17:55 AM »

I wasn't aware that blank CD-R or CDRW media had special versions for SCUMS (the ha-ha name of the acronym when it came out in the late 80s). If regular blank CD's don't work, you may want to upgrade to a different CD recording unit that is professional - Tascam and others make ones for less than $500.

If you have a computer that can burn CD's, it may be cheaper to transfer and mix in the computer and then burn.

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »

I also have a Philips CD Recorder that I use for stuff around the home from time to time. I've also had a hard time finding discs that work with it. None of the usual places seem to carry them any more. They say CD-R/MUSIC/HOME AUDIO, but do not work with the player. I've only got a few of them left on my spindle that still work.

I also have computer that burns CD's (who doesn't?), but for some things, it's easier to hook it up like one would a cassette deck and push record.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »

I also have a Philips CD Recorder that I use for stuff around the home from time to time. I've also had a hard time finding discs that work with it. None of the usual places seem to carry them any more. They say CD-R/MUSIC/HOME AUDIO, but do not work with the player. I've only got a few of them left on my spindle that still work.

I also have computer that burns CD's (who doesn't?), but for some things, it's easier to hook it up like one would a cassette deck and push record.

Someone passed this on to me.

""""That said, you can also try this, it worked with my old Phillips recorder and was a common "bootleggers" tip when home CD recording was just getting popular:
Insert an SCMS disc, let the recorder read it, and then press "record" but don't hit the start/play button yet. Manually open the CD tray (a paper clip in that tiny hole under the tray in the manual/ emergency eject. Swap in a regular CDR. Record away, you have now fooled the machine. Literally and figuratively.""""

I heard a gentle opening with a butter knife works as well.......

Douglas R. Allen

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 05:19:57 PM »

I'd also wonder if you A/B'd the digital out from the 01v vs. analog out to see if you're OK with the analog version. While not ideal, it should allow you to use other media with the disc, since I don't believe SCMS is enabled for analog recording.

Gus Housen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 04:45:30 PM »

I'd also wonder if you A/B'd the digital out from the 01v vs. analog out to see if you're OK with the analog version. While not ideal, it should allow you to use other media with the disc, since I don't believe SCMS is enabled for analog recording.

When a blank disc goes in the recorder it looks for the code. If its not on the cd it won't even spin up. Says OPTFAIL or something like that. The code is on the disc so once its recorded on you can't make another digital copy of the disc again. SCMS enabled recorders see the code and won't record the digital stream coming from the recorded SCMS cd. The recorders screen says Copywrited and record mode shuts off.
Its getting hard to find the disc. I have 2 CD-RWs that I have been using. I record and finalize them. Bring them to my home computer to make more CDs. Then unfinalize them and erase them. Start over.....
I not sure of the total amount of times I can do this. Some say 1000 times or more but I'm unsure.
I just purchase 2 TDK MUSIC CD-RW  1-4X 80min (700mb) disc on ebay and they won't work.
Its a good recorder. I sometimes take it out live and do a 2 track mix from FOH for me to listen to after and check my mix.

Douglas R. Allen

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 01:04:05 AM »

I found a couple:
I've ordered from cdrom2go before. Seems to be reputable. Can't vouch for the other; just found it by a Google search.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jim Thorn

• State College, PA
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »

Doug,

A couple of weeks ago I got a spindle of 50 Memorex Music CDRs (40x, 700MB, 80 min) at a local Best Buy store.  They are working in my Sony RCD-W500 and RCD-W1, both of which require the coded audio blanks.  Hope you can find some!

Jim Thorn

I have a Philps Home Audio CD recorder. I have Fostex D1624 and D824 recorders for 24 track recordings using the Adat out on my Yamaha 01v96.
At home I go adat in and do the mix down then go Coaxial digital out on the yamaha (44.100/16 bit) into my Philps cd recorder.  Just home recordings.
My normal Music CD's I purchase in my area no longer contain the  Serial Copy Management System in them. So of course they no longer work in my recorder.
I'm looking for a source for Music CD's with the SCMS code on them. They should say for Home Audio Recording on them.
Or I'm looking for Memorex MUSIC CD-RW cds, 700mb/80 min/4X speed.
Any ideas as to where I can find these?

Thanks
Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 25 queries.