Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > H.O.W. AV Archive

Good level for 9V battery?

(1/3) > >>

Dan Kreider:
Hi guys,

We use 9V batteries for our lavs, and we buy 'em in bulk.  We have a multimeter to test them.

When should I stop using the batteries for live sound - when they drop below what level?  If it's not live enough for live sound, I can still use it at home for something less crucial until it totally dies, right?

How are these numbers different for AA and AAA?

I've been searching the web, but I can't seem to find answers to these questions.

Thanks!
Dan

Mike Wright:
I typically don't use them below 8V. My experience has been that
anything below that and they usually go dead during the service. I actually started using Varta rechargeable batteries and they hold up very well. They don't have a memory so they charge up to about 10.5V and I change them out after every service at my church. I don't have any professional number to give you though. Sorry.

Jon-Paul Bullard:
I don't like taking chances with the speaker's lavalier, I'm big on a new battery for each service - or worst case two services/messages/sermons, then I test the voltage and will use for the Hand-helds for worship if it's above 8.4 (shure sm58 or 8.6 if it's a beta 58), rehearsal if it's above 8.0 and discard at anything 7.9 or below.

No reason not to use them in your garage opener or other household, low-draw devices either at any of those stages

AA's you would want to do some testing but I still stand by the maximum of two messages/sermons rule.

Don Sullivan:
If you use alkaline batteries (and you should) you will notice that the batteries maintain a high voltage until nearly their end of life, then they die rather rapidly. Using our AT wireless units, if the battery level drops one bar (out of four) we have about ten minutes until the battery is dead.
As such, the voltage is not a good indicator of remaining life, so here's what I do.

Begin all Sunday mornings with NEW batteries.
Use old batteries for rehearsals only.

Brian Kent Tennyson:
Don Sullivan wrote on Sat, 10 October 2009 13:33
If you use alkaline batteries (and you should) you will notice that the batteries maintain a high voltage until nearly their end of life, then they die rather rapidly. Using our AT wireless units, if the battery level drops one bar (out of four) we have about ten minutes until the battery is dead.
As such, the voltage is not a good indicator of remaining life, so here's what I do.

Begin all Sunday mornings with NEW batteries.
Use old batteries for rehearsals only.

Ditto. Used batteries are for rehearsals and non essential services like youth group, Sunday school dinner and so on. New batteries are for Sunday mornings, funerals and weddings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version