ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic'n Drums with Shield?  (Read 29093 times)

Eric Hermle

Re: Mic'n Drums with Shield?
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 01:02:40 AM »

Hello Jarron,
  Church drummer and some time church sound tech(did a 20 year run at FOH at previous church) here.  As a drummer, there's no way I want the responsibility of mixing of any kind(well, except my aviom settings... but thats pretty much set and forget)while I'm playing drums.  I'm too busy keeping steady time, watching my dynamics(playing softly when required, loud when required and some times not at all) and doing my best to put an emotional feel into the music.
 Hopefully, your PA system has a sub-woofer to give that kick drum it's presence.  At our church we currently use a Shure Beta 52 in the kick, SM57 on the snare(though its run at a pretty low level on the fader) and a pair of Rode NT5's as overheads.  I've ran sound for church events outside of the sanctuary with the same gear minus the SM57 and it sounds fine.
 My two cents are let the tech sub-mix it at FOH as mentioned, put up some plexi drum shields(with some absorptive material or panels on the lower third or so of the inside and maybe on the wall behind the kit) and buy the(or have him buy)drummer some light weight sticks.  My current fav's are Vic Firth AJ5 jazz sticks.  Light weight will carry less inertia which is especially important when making a fast move to a cymbal with out blasting everyone out.  I also use Vic's SD5 echo sticks.
 Hopefully you can also get the drummer set up with headphones for monitors.  If he's playing too loud, increase the drum kit level in his headphones and he might play softer thinking he's really loud(psycho-acoustics).

Much success to you.

Eric

DaveGetting

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 11:51:21 AM »

I'll 2nd (or 3rd) what has been said.  Since you have room on the snake there's no reason why you shouldn't mix the drums from FOH.  We are in a situation where we are short on snake channels so we are 'mixing' our drums from the stage.  

Once it's set - we leave it alone and fix it between services or during practice.  But the drummer (and anyone else on stage) knows not to mess with it.  I don't know how anyone thinks they could accurately mix anything from the stage (outside of monitors).  The ideal would be to mix it from the booth - but that's not always feasible.  

If you are going to shield it - I'd definitely do some sound treatment on the back wall.  Remember plexiglass doesn't absorb sound Smile  
Dave
Aurora, IL

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 03:25:24 PM »

Actually putting sound absorbing material on the lower part of the Plexiglas helps a lot with reflected sound where microphones are placed close to the Plexiglas.

DaveGetting

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »

Kent Thompson wrote on Thu, 14 May 2009 14:25

Actually putting sound absorbing material on the lower part of the Plexiglas helps a lot with reflected sound where microphones are placed close to the Plexiglas.

I agree.  Some I've talked to are of the belief a shield alone will help cure the loudness of the drums.  
Dave
Aurora, IL

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 02:29:04 PM »

When that shield is 8 feet in front of heavy curtains it certainly is enough to make a drastic difference.

Smile

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Brian Ehlers

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 07:42:26 PM »

I think in your situation simpler is better.  I suggest no shield and mic the kit with one overhead condenser and one on the kick (on the beater head).  You'll get a nice, natural mix with little effort.  I wouldn't consider a shield in a small church like that unless you're really having troubles with the kit coming through the vocal mics.

But no matter what you do, it all comes down to the guy holding the sticks.
    -- Brian

Timothy C. Lee

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »

It might help as well to know what size sound system you are working with...from the picture of the stage it looks like there are three small PA speakers maybe 12" and a horn?  I wouldn't worry about micing the kick if the system can't handle it.  The drums will be fighting the vocals on a small system.  Maybe just focus on getting the volume of the drums down?

Tim

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.