ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic'n Drums with Shield?  (Read 29109 times)

Joe Long

Mic'n Drums with Shield?
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:30:02 PM »

Hows it goin,

So we're in the process of getting a drum shield, (much needed) and I was curious as to if we should mic them too?
Someone mentioned we should.
I was hesitant about it, especially with the plan they had....

Attached is a picture of what/where are drums are...the shield is just a norm shield I guess, 3 panels.
index.php/fa/394/0/

drums go in clear back centered

Anyway someone said we should just use a spare portiable mixer we have in the back and plug all the mics in there that way the drummer can control his own mics??? and then send one signal to the soundboard?

Thoughts on this?
Thanks?

Ron Balsom

Re: Mic'n Drums with Shield?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:29:10 PM »

Welcome Jarron,  you have a typical drum question so you'll probably get allot of response.  It appears to be a small worship area, and unless there's a 'strong' comtemopary group, micing the drum set could be a minimal effort.  I speak only as a FOH tech. position. I'm not a musician either. I'm assuming the option of 'electronic drums' has been considered??  Most drummers who are new to the church worship experience, tend to just play what I call 'playing the full kit' all the time. There's that 'gentle touch' needed that varies with the worship experience.  You'll find additional threads here about drum shields with the ideal type of material to be used.  Personally, I would use a Conderser type of mic as an 'overhead' mic and use your judgment from there.  You can always add in a 'kick' and 'snare' as needed.  Perhaps consider a tall shield say 6' or more.  Keep us posted.  Blessings,  Ron Balsom  HPCC  Casper, Wyoming.  
RonB.  /   Ron Balsom HPCC.

Joe Long

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 12:17:16 AM »

I forgot to mention
our drummer loves to play(loud) Very Happy

and electric drums - no
thanks for the reply

still could use some input

Justin Langman

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 01:50:13 AM »

I love the sound of mic'd up drums, so I would be micing them up!

My philosophy I guess you would say, (small church as well), is to enclose the drums and then mic them, giving the FOH engineer control over the sound and volume, so they can actually 'mix' the drums.

Enclosing the drums also greatly lowers your stage volume, singers can hear themselves better, you can turn down the wedges, which again improves the house mix. So the benfits are many.

If you are short on mic lines to your FOH position, or channels on your board, then you will need to submix - plug all the drum mics into a mixer on stage, (or your booth), set up the drums mix there, and feed a mono, (or stereo if you want), drums mix back to your main board. You could also send selected channels direct to your main board, say kick + snare + mix if you like. Edit: You do NOT want to give the drummer control over this. You want to set the mix of the drums and then that's it for the day/service. (unless there's a problem you need to fix/adjust)

Looking at your stage, to get the most benefit, you will want some sort of absorption on the wall behind to drums, otherwise most of the sound will be reflected into the room anyway.

Hope this is helpful. Justin.

Joe Long

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 03:31:23 AM »

Hey Justin, thanks for the reply

So youre saying NOT to have that submix? only if needed?

and to not give control to the drummer, just for my own curiousity (mainly to also back up what i say) why shouldnt you give the drummer control

And yes i believe the FOH should be the one mixing the drums being as we hear it...

However, currently we dont have enough channels on our board (not cables) channels...so submixing is maybe what we would do...but would you lose quality?
this is still kinda hazy to me.
thanks to anyone who helps!

Justin Langman

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:57:06 AM »

Submix-ing is fine! We did that for a long time before we got a new board with more channels. Maybe you will lose a little bit of quality, but not enough to worry about.

You say you have enough cables, so you could submix your drum mics at FOH position. Just plug all your mics in, connect a suitable output on the submixer to a spare input on your main board, (or even a stereo in), get your drummer in to hit things, set gains and eqs, adjust the mix then you're about done.

You could get the drummer involved in setting up your drum mix and eqs. I just wouldn't want them having the ability to adjust the drum mix without knowing during a service. How can they have any idea what the mix sounds like in FOH from behind the drums in a cage?

Joe Long

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 04:03:28 AM »

Youre awesome.

So what i'm thinkin we could do...we have a snake

mic the drums accordingly, send them through the snake back to the FOH submixer...then run stereo out to a channel on the board?

Joe Long

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 04:03:10 AM »

Youre awesome.

mic the drums accordingly, send them through the snake back to the FOH submixer...then run stereo out to a channel on the board?

Dan Costello

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »

Jarron Wright wrote on Thu, 07 May 2009 04:03

Youre awesome.

That'll work. I'll reiterate the directive to not give the drummer control over this.

-Dan.
Dan Costello

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

Joe Long

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »

Now that I think about it...the "sub mixer" we have is a good portible mixer with built in EQs, so im not sure how that'll do...
They keep telling me that we should just run it on stage with the mics plugged in yada yada yada...
I'll have to get the exact details on the mixer im talking about

anyway the people who wanna do it say everyone has the drummer mixing his own drums at stage and then just sending the mono/stereo channel back through the snake into the board

also if we did run it at the FOH would we have to use another amp for that mixer?
sorry if im losing anyone..i'll get back on here and edit more infor tonight ifnot tomorrow for sure.
Thanks!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.