ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Good "cheap" wireless mic  (Read 12105 times)

Kristian Stevenson

Re: Good "cheap" wireless mic
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 09:19:51 PM »

I was looking at some of the antenna distribution units and some are combiners and some are splitters. whats the difference?

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »

Combiners are to link multiple transmitters (combine the signals) and send those out through a single antenna (or a pair).  They would be for wireless IEM's in this case.

Splitters take a single antenna feed and split it to multiple receivers.  These are what you would be looking at for a pair of antenna's (with a diversity system) feeding multiple receivers.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, inc.

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 12:49:32 AM »

January/early 2010 is only a couple months away, and then the SLX/ULX from Shure will be old news, according to my sources. You may want to wait it out.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 08:23:51 AM »

Jeff,
I am hearing the same things.  It will be interesting to see/hear what they put out.  

I work with both systems and Shure has just never had the sound quality in their wireless that Sennheiser has.  Even the top end systems from Shure were far noisier (hiss, inherent noise) than even mid priced Sennheisers.  They may correct this this time.  We'll see.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

DaveGetting

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 10:34:50 AM »

If you can wait, I'd see what Shure comes out with.  If you have to pull the trigger now, I have no problems recommending the Sennheiser G3 stuff.  
Dave
Aurora, IL

Brian Ehlers

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 12:56:37 PM »

Lee Buckalew wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 08:23

Even the top end systems from Shure were far noisier (hiss, inherent noise) than even mid priced Sennheisers.

I've heard this comment before about the high-end Shure system (I'll assume you're talking about the UHF-R series.)  And every time I hear it, I wonder how that person had the gain structure set up.

I, too, experienced a little hiss at first with the UHF-R series.  I had optimized the gain structure for headroom, not hiss.  After hearing the hiss, I checked Shure's FAQ and found that they expect you to run the receivers' meters well into the yellow if not red.  (Nitpick:  why on earth couldn't they put actual numbers next to the LEDs?)  And, of course, they recommend that most of that gain come as early in the chain as possible.  The transmitters have both a pre-amp gain and an output gain to adjust.  The receivers have another output gain adjustment plus mic/line selection.  In other words, Shure has given the users enough rope to hang themselves with.  Bottom line:  I now hear no clipping (despite occasionally lighting the top yellow or even the red LED), and I hear no hiss -- not through FOH and not on a CD recording.

Anyway, that was all off-topic.  If Shure really is replacing the SLX and ULX series, that might give the original poster an opportunity to pick up some close-outs and get more mic for less money.  I'm not a big fan of the SLX, but the ULX seems solid.
    -- Brian

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »

I was talking about the lower systems but, If we compare UHF-r to 3000/5000 Sennheiser (or 2000 series now too) I would say the same thing.  Higher inherent noise.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 10:28:24 PM »

So heres a little package I put together:

Wireless Mic Kit:
Sennheiser EW110G3       $499.99

Headset Mics:
Countryman E6OW5LSD            $358.00

Antenna Splitter:
Sennheiser ASA1/NT       $579.97

Antennas
Sennheiser A1031-U        $143.75 ea

A few questions:
How many antennas would I need. I have been a few auditoriums that have just 2.

I guess  would need some BNC cables to run to the antennas since I dont think they come with any.

Chan Xiang Ju

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 11:30:12 PM »

U would only need 2 antenna if u have a antenna splitter. basically its cable the receivers all up to the splitter then antenna to splitter. If u have 8 units I think u have to have 2 splitter for the Sennheisers as each splitter allows for 4 units. But with 2 splitters u could still use 2 antenna only.

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 12:33:40 PM »

You need 2 antenna's for the system.  Depending on the total number of wireless systems you may need some additional parts.  It is very simple to go up to 8 channels distributed without additional splitters.  If these are racked you need to purchase rackmounts for the 100 series (1 for every 2).

Also,
There is no Countryman that I can find that ends in SD.
The correct ending for the Sennheiser G3 would be SR.
I would also recommend going to the mid sensitivity version (unless you have some very loud voices).

This would make it part # E6OW6L1SR
If you wanted the E6i then the part # would be E6iDW6L1SR

This is:
E6O or E6iDW = mic type
6 = for speaking and vocals
L = Light Beige
1 = 1mm cable (2mm is an option)
SR = 3.5mm locking conector for Sennheiser G3

If you can tell us how many channels you are looking at then we can help with some of the other layout.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 12:33:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.