ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: books to read  (Read 6072 times)

Christy L Manoppo (okky)

books to read
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:28:39 AM »

my tech team are very passionate for their work... and I want to give them some books to read about... do you guys have any preferences that I can recommend the to buy?

or maybe, I'll just buy it for my team...

books about:

- church production
- video camera techniques
- painting with lights
- H.O.W equipment maintenance/repair

..and so on...

thanks guys..

ps.. I already bought for myself, "Sound Reinforcement Handbook" by Gary Davis and "Critical Listening Skills for Audio Professionals" by Alton Everest...

Christy L Manoppo
Coordinator for AVL Dept,
Bethany Indonesian Church of GOD,
Philadelphia, PA

Perfect? we can't. Excellent? We can.

John Fiorello

Re: books to read
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 10:40:41 PM »

Christy L  Manoppo (okky) wrote on Tue, 21 April 2009 00:28

my tech team are very passionate for their work...

Hey Okky, that's awesome.  Teams that are passionate are awesome.

I'd recommend SMS iCD.  It's a basic training program for only like $30 that's great for people looking for basic understanding of audio and mixers and all that stuff.

I use it now with my teams when I'm training someone new.  And since it's divided up into lessons, you can use it to teach your team, or they can go through it on their own at their leisure.  

JF

Stop. Think. Speak.

Ben Carr

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »

I would recommend the book "High-Tech Worship?" by Quentin J. Schultze.This book gets into the relationship of technology with worship. It's an interesting read and he has some good insight. This book is not very technical.

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »

John Fiorello wrote on Tue, 21 April 2009 22:40

I'd recommend SMS iCD.  It's a basic training program for only like $30 that's great for people looking for basic understanding of audio and mixers and all that stuff.

Where did you get it for $30?  I just paid $130.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

DaveGetting

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »

Aaron McQueen wrote on Mon, 22 June 2009 13:44

John Fiorello wrote on Tue, 21 April 2009 22:40

Where did you get it for $30?  I just paid $130.

It's different from the Sounds Simple training DVDs.

http://www.kingdom.com/Sound-Made-Simple-iCD-Demo-p/ksmscdfd .htm
Dave
Aurora, IL

DaveGetting

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »

Eh - I was going to second the ChurchSoundCheck reads but I realized it was a book.

Here's a link to some good articles on the same site (technical and 'group stuff').

http://www.churchsoundcheck.com/mag820.html

Dave
Aurora, IL

kirk johnson

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »

Hey okky.

The Sound Reinforcement Handbook will make their eyes glaze over, and has a lot of stuff in it they don't need to know.  It's great to have for a reference, but I strongly recommend The Guide to Sound Systems for Worship (ISBN 0-79350-029-X) for $25.00.  It's also published by Yamaha, it's only about half as thick, much clearer and easier to read, and has a much more thorough index.

Also, I have some old speakers and guitar pickups that I've dismantled so I can show them when I'm explaining how things work.  I put a small amp on a table, connect a speaker to the input (alligator clips to 1/4-inch jack) for a microphone, same thing for the output, then thump on the (microphone )speaker or talk into it, induce a little feedback, etc.  Replace the microphone with a guitar pickup and play a little guitar string over it (you'll have to build a little guitar).  It's very hands-on, and they love to play with the little guitar.  This helps them understand the signal chain which is useful for simple troubleshooting.

We talk about harmonics, instrument timbre, energy of different frequencies (low notes on a piano only need one string, middle notes need two strings, higher notes need three strings), how much more easily low frequencies (pitches) travel through air (nearby lighting strike versus lightning strike miles away, what do you hear most from the loud party down the street), so that they can consider instrument harmonics (timbre) and the difficulty of high frequencies traveling through air when making EQ decisions.

I show them how the mics are labled, where they plug into the snake, where the snake plugs into the mixer, output to amplifier, cabling to speakers.  All of this happens before I let them sit down at the mixer.  I'm convinced that sound techs that start learning at the mixer never get a good feel for the signal chain, adding mics, troubleshooting, etc.

Good luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.