ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Sound Board Opinions?  (Read 8643 times)

David Hoover

Small Sound Board Opinions?
« on: April 19, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »

At the church where I work, we have a need for a small console.  I don't have much experience with small analogue consoles and would like your opinions.  We had a MG166cx that someone dropped and broke the board in two internally, so, it's useless now.  It met our needs pretty well though.

Normally, this board is used for small events with acoustic guitar, percussion, and some 58's.  We run it with some JBL EON powered speakers.  It is mostly going to be used by a youth group, so, the board will need to be durable.  The board would need 8-10 mic inputs, on board effects, and any other on-board stuff would only be a plus.  If you can, describe to me which console you would choose for this situation, what you like about it, and a rough ballpark price.

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
Re: Small Sound Board Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:02:44 PM »

At the church where I work, we have a need for a small console.  I don't have much experience with small analogue consoles and would like your opinions.  We had a MG166cx that someone dropped and broke the board in two internally, so, it's useless now.  It met our needs pretty well though.

Normally, this board is used for small events with acoustic guitar, percussion, and some 58's.  We run it with some JBL EON powered speakers.  It is mostly going to be used by a youth group, so, the board will need to be durable.  The board would need 8-10 mic inputs, on board effects, and any other on-board stuff would only be a plus.  If you can, describe to me which console you would choose for this situation, what you like about it, and a rough ballpark price.

This probably belongs in the Lounge but an Allen & Heath MixWiz would work just fine for your needs. Also has built in FX.

http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/mixwizard/wz3162

Check it out.

Pat

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »

I don't mind the mix wiz... and dual sweepable mids is a big deal when your looking at small boards that presumably will double as monitors. But if you've got kids using it, you'll find that the section with the xlr's wiggles loose over time.

My vote is the crest X 18R. I used this with a GB for a couple years and it sounded really nice. It's construction is very solid plus it's got two swept mids.  A bit pricier than the mix wiz ($2500ish), but not if the mix wiz breaks in half.

Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »

The board you're replacing costs $400 and has 10 mic inputs.
I don't guess you're about to spend a grand or two on an A&H or a Crest.

Looks like a useful little board, though, and
your people already know how to operate it.
I'd suggest you buy another and ask them not to drop it.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »

For something basic and low cost, the Yamaha MG series are good.  Another option may be the Mackie line.  I personally don't use Mackie, but others whom I know say thay are pretty good for the price. 

Mark Gensman

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 01:40:49 AM »

Buy another Yamaha MG 166. Hard to beat the quality for the price and you already know how to use it.

Vince Gibbs

• The only thing constant in life is change.
    • Pure Sound Entertainment LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:52:24 AM »

Buy another Yamaha MG 166. Hard to beat the quality for the price and you already know how to use it.

I completely agree with that.  And with that said, I have a spare Yamaha MG166cx in the original box in "like new" condition for sale.  I know this is my very first post on this forum, but it's only because I saw this thread and figured I could help you so I registered.

You can check my ebay feedback and see I have a 100% feedback rating.  I've been a member there about 10 years.  I will also give you my phone number and discuss this with you if you want.  I'll make you a much better deal on it than any music store.

I hope I am not breaking any forum rules here.  If so, moderators please delete my post and I apologize in advance.

Thank you.
Vince Gibbs
Pure Sound Entertainment LLC
www.puresoundent.com

Donnie Evans

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:50:59 AM »

I own both the MixWiz and the Yamaha MG166cx-usb and to me the MixWiz is my first choice hands down.  More aux's, more mic pre's, better sounding board.  And both of mine are for sale... I love both boards and would keep them but I have a 32 channel GL2400 for my large needs and a 01v96 for my small format mixer now so these two need new homes.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,1485.0.html

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »

For something basic and low cost, the Yamaha MG series are good.  Another option may be the Mackie line.  I personally don't use Mackie, but others whom I know say thay are pretty good for the price.

I've used the Yamaha MG stuff and a variety of Mackie stuff.  I'd say the MG series in on par with Mackie's CFX line or *maybe* their VLZ stuff.  Decent for the money; the MG line is very inexpensive.  Mackie's Onyx line is significantly superior to Yamaha's MG line, in my experience.

David Hoover

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 08:03:36 AM »

The board you're replacing costs $400 and has 10 mic inputs.
I don't guess you're about to spend a grand or two on an A&H or a Crest.

Looks like a useful little board, though, and
your people already know how to operate it.
I'd suggest you buy another and ask them not to drop it.

Sorry it took so long to get back.  I actually specked out two QSC KW153's as well as an 01V96 after talking with leadership.  It looks like this system is going to be used quite a bit because the youth has grown and small events have increased in number.  Also, it turns out we need a set of speakers because our other one's are in use.  So, it's going to benefit us to start out with something a little beefier.  That being said, do you think it would be worth it to get an 01V96, and do you guys have any in perfect working condition for sale?  I will at least inquire about it with the leadership because it would save lots of money.  I may lean toward digital after talking with them...and I personally own an old O1V and it sounds good and it's easy to use.

It seems that the general consensus is that the little Yamaha analogue board is actually really good!  It was pretty easy for the youth or I to get a good sound from it.  The one-knob compressors are neat, too and sound pretty good.  From what I gather, it seems if they don't allow the purchase of the 01V96, then we can just get the same board again...with a nice case to keep it from breaking.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 08:03:36 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.