ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED stage lights vs par cans??  (Read 3557 times)

Kristian Stevenson

LED stage lights vs par cans??
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:17:01 PM »

I was just curious about these LED light systems, like this one:
http://allprosound.com/catalog/productdetails.asp?fprodid=57 61&item=American%20DJ%20MEGA%20BAR%20LED

What is the advantages/disadvantages of them?

Allen Farr

Re: LED stage lights vs par cans??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:14:49 AM »

Kristian,

These things are really cool. From the LED light that I have seen they will give you a very vibrant and rich color. However, right now they are not going to give as much output as a standard PAR. I would use LED as a color wash on a back wall or on a drumset. You could use them a down stage lighting for vocalists shining on them from the ground up. Just bare in mind, right now LED's cannot compete with regular PAR's in other words a PAR would wash out an LED.

If you are looking for some color on a back wall or something of that nature, perfect!
Allen Farr

First Redeemer Church
Director of Audio

www.twitter.com/allenwfarr

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:47:10 PM »

alright! thatnks for the info, thats what I needed to know. I have seen some floor mount ones so I guess thats the reason why.

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »

Kristian Stevenson wrote on Tue, 07 April 2009 02:17

I was just curious about these LED light systems, like this one:
 http://allprosound.com/catalog/productdetails.asp?fprodid=57 61&item=American%20DJ%20MEGA%20BAR%20LED

What is the advantages/disadvantages of them?

LED lumens cost something like 10 times as much as incandescent lumens right now. Look at the power consumption of a LED fixture and multiply by about 5 to get the equivalent incandescent watts.

IME lower cost LED fixtures with 3 colors of LEDs do not provide every color that you might expect from a RGB fixture. Whites tend towards blue and many pastels and some solid colors can be mission impossible.

Some fixtures have a bank of white LEDs in addition to address the problem with pastels. Seems like an idea.

You'll get lots of colors and low power usage and far less heat for sure. If you are picky about color, you're going to be frustrated unless you pay top dollar.

On balance we've had a ton of fun with the two ca. $300 fixtures we bought for the Christmas program, and we will probably be getting a few more pretty soon.

In ten years LED fixtures will probably be dominant. They're about doubling the price/performance every 2 years. They seem to be getting close to solving the problems with color temperature and pastels for a reasonable price.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.