ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Dream Amplifier Stack (simple)  (Read 2835 times)

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
Your Dream Amplifier Stack (simple)
« on: April 05, 2009, 04:30:07 pm »

I'm interested in what the forum members would consider to be their dream amplifier stack.

The signal source is an 02R96, and the load is a 4-speaker high efficiency speaker cluster with 2 15" EV LF speakers and 2 large JBL CD horns.

The current stack has far more power than has ever been needed by far, and includes  50 wpc and 100 wpc (Yamaha) power amplifiers. It is presumed that if there were major upgrades to the speaker system, the new system would be composed of powered speakers. But that is way off in the indefinate future.

The balance of the present stack is a White 1/3 octave equalizer/crossover, and a LA-7 limiter.

So given a free choice what would you pick to replace this equipment?

If you feel really energetic, you can provide choices for  low-end, mid-end and high end stacks. Wink

Ivan Beaver

Re: Your Dream Amplifier Stack (simple)-And more
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:46:20 pm »

First of all I would dream of a loudspeaker system that would a smoother freq response and less spacing between the drivers which would result in more even coverage.  I would want this system to cover the audience from front to back within +-2dB across the operating freq range.  I would also want this system to have enough pattern control to not put any energy back o the stage-Ok OK greatly reduced level on the stage.

I would replace the existing processing with a good DSP that would allow for more precise alignment between the devices.

Amplifier choice would be based on how loud the loudspeaker system would typically be operated, and have enough headroom (say 10dB) for peaks.  This would be assuming that the loudspeakers would not be damaged by that additional power.

I would also want large gauge short loudspeaker runs.

Next I would want that system to be aligned by a COMPETENT person. Probably one of the biggest issue in all of the desires.

Then I would want to have no volume produced on stage by the musicians and I would want those musicians to be professional and play well together and play music that does not step all over the other instruments (as most Christian music is Sad ).

I would then want a good sound operator to run the whole mix.

Oh, and I would want this whole mix of stuff to be located in a room that was free of reflections and excessive reverberation.

And don't forget having a HVAC that works without being noticed Laughing Yeah like that's ever gonna happen.

That would be my dream setup.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Paul Drenth

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:15:00 pm »

Nice rant! Sounds like someone has a Sound Sphere clogged somewhere between point A and point B Shocked

I want an amp that sounds like Lab Gruppen PLM's, has stability down to 1ohm, weighs as much as my xbox, has the durability of Crest 10004, and costs as much as a broken CS800. And I want it to load itself and draw no more than 10a from 120V. And I want it to tune my guitarists Takamine too.

-Paul
Imaging is everything

Chris Penny

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:39:08 pm »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Mon, 06 April 2009 06:46

First of all I would dream of a loudspeaker system that would a smoother freq response and less spacing between the drivers which would result in more even coverage...

This was an awesome post. I have copied it and if I'm lucky I will remember I still have it in 3-4 years time when I have to write our next tender specification.

In terms of dream amp stack, I have no real preference except that it contain quality amps... You would be amazed at some of the cheap  rubbish I have seen.

Oh I went to a chapel with a soundsphere about a month ago. Whoever selected/approved that speaker for that room had no idea. At times it did sound like it was stuck somewhere between points A and B.
Chris Penny
Lead Sound Person
Caringbah Anglican Church
http://www.stphils.org

Jeff Ekstrand

Re: Your Dream Amplifier Stack (simple)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:31:45 am »

Quote:

Oh I went to a chapel with a soundsphere about a month ago. Whoever selected/approved that speaker for that room had no idea. At times it did sound like it was stuck somewhere between points A and B.

My brain hurts... just thinking about it.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
Re: Your Dream Amplifier Stack (simple)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:21:22 am »

Jeff Ekstrand wrote on Tue, 07 April 2009 05:31

Quote:

My brain hurts... just thinking about it.

There's a fairly high profile historic RC church near me that had one of those Sputnick thingies in their sanctuary the last time I went to a wedding there. It was about as effective as nothing.

The perps seem to be still in business:

http://www.soundsphere.com/applications/worship.htm

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:46:48 am »

Chris Penny wrote on Mon, 06 April 2009 21:39

[In terms of dream amp stack, I have no real preference except that it contain quality amps... You would be amazed at some of the cheap  rubbish I have seen.

In the entire audio chain there are to pieces of gear that overall have the "worst" quality.  And by that I mean they have the most effect of altering the overall signal.

Those are the microphones and the loudspeakers.  The effect of various electronics is minimal-as compared to those two.  And by far the worst of the pair is the loudspeaker.

So I would rather put my money into a better loudspeaker than by buying an amp that "sounds great".  You get more out of your money that way.

Now reliability is quite another issue.  If a piece of gear is not reliable-then I don't use it-period.  The hassle factor is simply not worth it.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

ak909

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:39:18 pm »

Chris Penny wrote on Mon, 06 April 2009 21:39

Ivan Beaver wrote on Mon, 06 April 2009 06:46

First of all I would dream of a loudspeaker system that would a smoother freq response and less spacing between the drivers which would result in more even coverage...

This was an awesome post. I have copied it and if I'm lucky I will remember I still have it in 3-4 years time when I have to write our next tender specification.

In terms of dream amp stack, I have no real preference except that it contain quality amps... You would be amazed at some of the cheap  rubbish I have seen.

Oh I've heard of those guys...
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/adlen60062/givesig.png
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/3 28634-more-free-stuff-lets-do-again.html

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:39:18 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.