ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard panning  (Read 7222 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Hard panning
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 09:16:51 PM »

For me it depends on the system and venue.  If I'm on a system with good stereo coverage to all or nearly all of the audience space, I'll hard pan stereo keys, stereo electric guitars, drum overheads, and FX.  I'll pan the toms out some; whether they're hard-panned depends again on the venue and the music.  Other instruments get lightly panned to taste; vox stay centered.

If the system's stereo coverage is less ideal, I'll still pan, but I won't hard-pan much if anything.

That's pretty much exactly what I do, but if there are background vocals, they get panned to open them up some too.

Mac

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »

How many of you do a lot of panning for live sound?

I've done a lot of hard panning of guitars at certain venues, I've also panned guitars to the opposite sides for some venues to defeat loud stage volumes.

What else do people pan/hard pan? I mainly stick to OH's hard panned, toms in the 33% and 66% positions, guitars in 66% and 100% positions. Maybe some keys panning if the band has a single guitar and keys, if it's a three piece of drums bass and guitar I'll pan the bass mic a little aswell with the guitar mic to widen things a little but not too much. I never usually pan backing vocals.

There's a few pros and cons to panning at gigs, for examples not everyone is in a perfect position to get a stereo image from both speakers at the same time, the people right infront of one speaker won't hear the other etc.

I'd be especially interested how people approach panning on larger rigs which cover much larger spaces if they do any extreme panning or sticking to 66% or 33% as their outer limits and only maybe hard pan a stereo keys setup etc

I'm pretty sure there was a few threads on this subject on the old forums, but well they are dead and I thought I'd introduce some more recent conversation.

I pretty much mix in mono with the exception of stereo sources and playback and fx as mentioned earlier.

I remember seeing a stadium show where the mixer panned guitars and other stuff hard left and hard right, apparently not realizing that several hundred people are getting the entire mix from one line array hang. The other guitar was absolutely in-audible until I squeezed my way to the center. And if its really crowded getting to the center isn't an option and the average punter might not know to do that for an even mix anyway.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.