ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Galaxy Hotspot Replacement  (Read 6272 times)

Aaron McQueen

Galaxy Hotspot Replacement
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:28:12 PM »

I'm not a big fan of the hotspots.  But my church has about 6 of them.  I'd like to replace them.  I don't need six, but I'd something that mounted to a mic stand, was compact, doesn't need to produce much bass, and is passive.  I was thing about the FBT Jolly 5B.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Karl P(eterson)

Re: Galaxy Hotspot Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 03:00:22 PM »

At a previous engagement of mine they had hotspots and we changed some of them out with EV EVID's with a microphone stand mount. This was years ago, but the product is now known as the EVID SOS http://www.electrovoice.com/products/136.html

They were better than the Hotspots, but still had obvious limitations.

While they (a church) were very resistant to using a real wedge due to atheistic and cost issues in the end we ended up with a rig of EAW 109z's. That was a real upgrade.

I don't doubt that the FBT or EV's would be a step up from the hotspots, but i doubt it will be enough to justify the cost of the new boxes, there is only so much that can be done in that small of a space.

Why not try some real wedges of one type or another?

If you absolutely need to stay with stand mounted, and are looking for a real upgrade, maybe some Danley SH-MINI's with a hole for a microphone stand and a jam nut?

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:45:49 PM »

The EVIDs look interesting.  I'll add them to my list.

Quote:

They were better than the Hotspots, but still had obvious limitations.

While they (a church) were very resistant to using a real wedge due to atheistic and cost issues in the end we ended up with a rig of EAW 109z's. That was a real upgrade.

I don't doubt that the FBT or EV's would be a step up from the hotspots, but i doubt it will be enough to justify the cost of the new boxes, there is only so much that can be done in that small of a space.

Why not try some real wedges of one type or another?

I understand the limitations of a monitor this size.  Aesthetics are not really a concern.  It just makes sense to me that if I can get the monitor closer to the person's head, the less I will have to turn up that monitor.  For this reason the hot spots do work well, but they sound terrible and get worse the more off axis you are.

Quote:

If you absolutely need to stay with stand mounted, and are looking for a real upgrade, maybe some Danley SH-MINI's with a hole for a microphone stand and a jam nut?

Probably a good sounding solution, but out of the price range I'm looking for.

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 06:29:57 PM »

Anchor Audio?

I used to use the AN-1000x for corporate meetings in small rooms. Not bad, volume, treble, bass controls. And it's bracket allows some tilt. They're pretty robust units, I used to throw them in a Pelican, check them on a plane, toss them in the ocean... no, not really, but they took a lickin'.

They used to have a partner to the AN-1000x that was a speaker without the controls and took power from an AN-1000x. I don't see it on their web site currently, but it could be handy for setting-up a pair of speakers for a single monitor mix.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »

Jeff Ekstrand wrote on Sat, 28 March 2009 18:29

Anchor Audio?

I used to use the AN-1000x for corporate meetings in small rooms. Not bad, volume, treble, bass controls. And it's bracket allows some tilt. They're pretty robust units, I used to throw them in a Pelican, check them on a plane, toss them in the ocean... no, not really, but they took a lickin'.

They used to have a partner to the AN-1000x that was a speaker without the controls and took power from an AN-1000x. I don't see it on their web site currently, but it could be handy for setting-up a pair of speakers for a single monitor mix.

Thanks, but I'd like it to be passive.  We already have amps with 5 mixes in stage, so no need for active.  And it just adds more cabling.  I'm a big fan of powered speakers, but not in this situation.

Fred Dorado

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:27:24 PM »

I know nothing about these, but was browsing and liked the active version and the volume knob......I am sure others will know better
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=602160V

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 12:49:14 AM »

http://www.anchoraudio.com/access_details.cfm?PART=AN-1001X
Just found the model I was looking for. There wasn't a direct link from their main page, I had to look under accessories for the AN-1000x.

It would appear to be a standard, passive speaker with a 1/4" input. It says companion for the AN-1000x, but I think it'll work with any amp.

I think these sound better than a hotspot, and they're smaller, too.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

David Kaiser

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 11:00:37 PM »

I like the carvin PM5b monitor speakers. I have four of them and I think they sound good. Carvin.com They have a built in pole mount and also can be mounted with brackets.
I upgraded from a Shure Promaster 705 to a Mackie 1604VLZ. If anybody has a Soundcraft FX16 or APB ProRack House they don't need, I'll gladly switch.

Bryant S. Skillern

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 02:38:30 PM »

If you are looking for a home for those unwanted hotspots......
We have been wanting to get 2 or 3 more to meet our needs. We are using 4 right now. They are not perfect, but for our use in a small sanctuary they keep the stage level down and we get by with them.
Knowing the terror of the Lord, we persuade men.

Pastor Smoke
NMRLC
Grayling MI

David Kaiser

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 01:26:50 AM »

I recently used the AN1000x and the companion AN1001x mentioned to do theater sound in a gymnasium for 50 or more people. They worked quite nicely. Previously I had used the Anchor Explorer system. I really like the AN1000X, and the AN1001x passive speaker. The AN1001x has two inputs on it, and can be used for either install or portable.

I also like the Carvin PM5B monitor.
I upgraded from a Shure Promaster 705 to a Mackie 1604VLZ. If anybody has a Soundcraft FX16 or APB ProRack House they don't need, I'll gladly switch.

Mark Simpson

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 02:09:15 AM »

Bryant S. Skillern wrote on Mon, 30 March 2009 11:38

If you are looking for a home for those unwanted hotspots......
We have been wanting to get 2 or 3 more to meet our needs. We are using 4 right now. They are not perfect, but for our use in a small sanctuary they keep the stage level down and we get by with them.

we need a couple of them too... one of ours just died, and it was the one we use for satellite to the crowd in the back row... So now all we have is the powered one, and a dead passive one...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 02:09:15 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.