ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Youth sound system, Spirit 32 channel or Yamaha 01v96  (Read 5059 times)

Chris J Willard

• http://www.crossviewcov.org
Youth sound system, Spirit 32 channel or Yamaha 01v96
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:22:06 PM »

Hi,
We currently have a Soundcraft Spirit Live 8 32 channel board in our youth room.  One of our techs is pushing for replacing it with a Yamaha 01v96.  The soundcraft is in great shape and is a known quantity for our kids.  Our main room console is a yamaha M7CL so the thought is perhaps putting them on a yamaha digital board as well so that they better equipped to graduate to the main room.  

My concern is whether the O1V96 is a good live console (have never used it).  Also, I am concerned that it will be too cumbersome for the youth to use and for non-techs who only occasionally need to flip on a mic or show a movie in the room.

Any thoughts?
-Chris Willard
-Chris Willard

Technical Director
Crossview Covenant Church
North Mankato, MN

ak909

Re: Youth sound system, Spirit 32 channel or Yamaha 01v96
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »

Hello Chris,

Be prepared to be asked to change your profile name to your real name.
Forum rules.

I have used the 01v.

IMHO It is not suited for FOH operations that require fast action and the setup is somewhat cumbersome. If you can create a patch layout with all the levels set it could work great but when something happens unexpectedly, depending on what it is, it could hinder you. I'd stick with the Soundcraft but it is your choice.

I do suggest moving to a digital board but wait till you can afford a console that is better suited to ease of use and a better GUI. Such as a DM1000.

I know a couple of guys here who have much more detailed opinions both for and against the 01v96 so I will let them chime in.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/adlen60062/givesig.png
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/3 28634-more-free-stuff-lets-do-again.html

Chris J Willard

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:37:28 AM »

Ok, I've thought a little bit and want to clarify.  The 01V96 needs to be friendly to the following situation:
-Teenagers who won't necessarily use any of the effects, gates, compression, once they are set for inputs that almost never change.  For the most part they will mute and unmute, push faders and other basic mixing tasks.
-People who are not techs need to be able to turn on a mic, or get audio from the DVD player if necessary (they manage fine on the spirit).
-Expansion to additional channels in the future.  How confusing do you feel flipping from one set of channels to another will be for the kids mentioned above.

Essentially I an not asking if a FOH engineer thinks this is a good FOH console... I am asking if some kids can manage this thing without train wrecks every week.  They're smart kids and we will train them, but I don't want to stack the deck against them.

-Chris

-Chris Willard

Technical Director
North Mankato, MN

ak909

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:47:11 AM »

As I said.
If you can create a patch where your routing, gain, nominal levels and (if needed) dynamics and EQ are set and not have your volunteers mess with them, then it will work for you.

As with any mixer.

I know a kid who mixed on two of these at the same time.
It can be done.

Flipping is simple. The channels are assigned to layers.
Such as CH# 1-16 on layer 1 and CH# 17-32 on layer 2.

For example:

CH#19 is on Fader Layer #2, since Fader Layer #1 ends at CH#16, so I will press the button labeled "Layer 2" on the fader layer section located on the left side of the LCD Screen. Once pressed the faders will move and I will turn up the fader on CH#19. Viola

I suggest creating a patch where the most important channels on the first layer to lower the number of fader flopping... I am pretty sure everyone on here is saying Duh! in unison on that.

Set it, Label it, Save it and Mix.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/adlen60062/givesig.png
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/3 28634-more-free-stuff-lets-do-again.html

Chris J Willard

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:10:14 AM »

Thanks for the input Bryan!  I hope you don't think I was suggesting you didn't understand what I was getting at.  I just want to be ultra clear to anyone reading about my situation.  Blessings!
-Chris Willard

Technical Director
North Mankato, MN

Matthias Heitzer

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:43:39 AM »

What does a teenager do all the time?
Wasting time with computer and cellphones.
I would not worry about their digital competences.
All devices follow a similar logic, and the standard teenager that doesn't need to read the manual of his phone or mp3-player
should not have such big problems with a digital bord.

And if you write a short quick-start-guide (one page), that explains how to reach and tweak the most important functions everyone should be able to play a DVD.

One big advantage: if the whole setting is completely messed, you can simply load a preset.
I'm from Germany,so please excuse my bad english.

Bill Skipwith

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »

Chris, I don't know much about your current console, I do know a lot about the O1V96. I currently use the 96 for FOH and have been for about 5-6 years. I am graduating to an LS9-32 in the near future. If your hoping that the youth will graduate to the M7CL then the 96 is a great board to start them on. I regularly have 20 inputs 6 auxs plus DVD, iPod, and record 16 digital outs optically and 16 out to a CD. Obviously you don't want the youth messing with all that however, that is where the 96 will shine. You can set up scenes that can be recalled and all they need to do is manipulate the faders. No fear of them really messing up a scene that you can't recall. You can even password protect it if you choose, so that only specific people can gain access. Not that it would help much with kids. I have permanent scenes set for the choir, traditional service, contemporary, and rehearsal. Additionally I will set a scene for a drama or an outside group provided they come in for a set up and rehearsal. The only downside I have found is, if someone watches me dial in a new set they get a little gun shy because if the layering. The best part is the 96 is very inexpensive and when you consider it's capabilities you really get your moneys worth.

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 06:59:49 PM »

+1 for looking towards the LS9. Better UI than the o1v96, and more updated technical specs (USB drive/recorder, etc.). I find it to be a faster console to get around as well.

Another reason for looking at the LS9 is the "graduation factor" you mentioned earlier. The LS9 runs similar to the M7CL, and will therefor make the console that much easier to run.

That said, you still need to decide if a new console is even a good use of your funds. $7-8k isn't a small sum, especially for most student ministries groups. Will the improvements made with a new console be truly appreciated, or will people just be wowed by the look of the new board?

We're currently looking at installing an LS932 in our student room. I've got techs who can run it (high school and Jr. High kids who already mix on an M7 in our main room from time to time), and the improvements will definitely be noted and appreciated by the multiple ministries that use the space. We went through some meetings and figured that this will, eventually, be the right move. Of course, given the new economic climate of our country, getting permission to spend that money requires a little more patience, which is hilariously difficult for these high schoolers. Smile Kids, gotta' love 'em.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Jeremy Johnston

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »

I have used the o1v96 and I consider it an excellent live sound board with the usual caveats of proper training and its limitations.

I have recommended the board to two churches without "experienced" techs and both have had good success with it.  Periodically I check in with these churches, because one is where I used to attend in Indiana and the other is my parents' church in Washington.

Yesterday I spent about half an hour on the phone helping my parents build a new preset so my father could practice with his quartet and be able to get back to normal Sunday setup or recall the quartet settings at will.  They were very appreciative and grasped all the concepts involved in setting, storing and recalling the preset.  Neither of them is the tech at the church, but my mother is the administrative assistant and routinely has to "troubleshoot" tech problems or help get things running during the week. I would call them "technically aware", but not necessarily "technically adept" at least in the case of audio mixing.

I DO like the o1v96. It is less expensive than the LS9 and for what it will do, I think it is up to the task unless you need the extra outputs and input capacity of the LS9.

To me, the non-recall gain, PAD and phantom power settings are not a terrible issue as there aren't that many channels (so you could chart the typical gain settings or PAD settings) and the phantom power settings are for groups of channels and could conceivably be left on if needed.

So, you have my vote (for what that's worth) for the o1v96.

Jeremy Johnston
Technical Director
Christian Center - Kalispell

Chris J Willard

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 11:41:02 PM »

Hello All,
We elected to go with the Yamaha 01v96.  We really wanted to go with the small frame LS9 but since we just dropped quite a bit of money on the electrical upgrades to the room, we're going to have to wait.  We're thinking of using the 01v96 for a little while and then pass it down the chain when we buy the LS9.  We now have a 32 channel Soundcraft we want to sell (posted in the market place in the LAB).  Thanks much for the input.
-Chris
-Chris Willard

Technical Director
North Mankato, MN

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 11:41:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.