ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with electric drums  (Read 4945 times)

Aaron Martin

Help with electric drums
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:22:01 PM »

Okay, this is my first post.

I'm the bassist and backup drummer in my church and even though I don't actually mix for the services, I get to take care of all of our techie problems.

Here's where I need help:

We have a set of Roland TD-12 Electric Drums that we are having problems getting the snare to cut through the mix. I have tried to adjust the slider on the module, but then the snare is way too loud in our monitors. We have a Allen & Heath GL-2400 Bi-amp mono setup with an Aviom system for monitors. Drummers use either Shure E-2's or E-5's. Is there any tips on how to get the snare in the mix better without blowing our ears out in the monitors?

BTW, the drums are run direct through a cheap passive DI.

Please help me!

Thanks,
Aaron

DaveGetting

Re: Help with electric drums
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:35:29 PM »

I'm not a drummer (played one year in elementary school) and I've only been exposed to one electronic drum set...

That said - when I was was toying around with the different settings it seemed as though there was a way to adjust the loudness of each pad within the controller.  I know you can adjust the sensitivity and what sounds come from each pad.  Or maybe a different snare sound will come across louder?

I'd find the manual for your controller and see if there is a setting for that.

As a fake drummer...I have a strong dislike for fake drums.  Smile
Dave
Aurora, IL

Aaron Martin

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 04:43:26 PM »

Yes that's correct. The drum module has sliders and editing features for the snare and the whole kit, but that's the problem when I adjust the snare slider, it's too loud in the monitor mix and the drummer can't stand it. I agree about the "fake" drums, but the V-drums work out nicely for having a good clean mix and hardly anyone complains about it being too loud being every instrument is ran direct!

DaveGetting

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »

Can you lessen the monitor level of the entire drum set - or does he lose too much of the rest?  Find a middle ground?  Tell him to hit the snare harder Smile

I definitely agree with being able to control the volume better with an electronic set.  The set we used lost a lot of the 'touch' of a real drum set.  I know in rock there isn't much need - but it's hard to use brushes on an electronic set.  We're very fortunate in that our drummer has a very soft touch.  I never thought I'd see the day when we had our set mic'd.  Smile
Dave
Aurora, IL

John Ward

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »

Send two signals to the monitor console - From V Drum controller: pan all drums except snare left / DI to console; pan snare right / DI to console - send both to Aviom. If you are short on Aviom channels find two compatable insts. / vocals that can live together. Let the monitor engineer send an adequate signal for (everything) and adj. as desired on stage.
Professional Audio Systems
www.proaudiointegration.com

John Ward

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »

Or continue sending the same signal you are sending now (with a moderate level snare) and use another of the (eight? - can't remember right now) outputs to send the snare at a different level......to another channel / aviom channel. It can be eq'ed at the console for more "cut" (whatever your definition of that is). Adding some high-mid (1.2-16K) will give you more of an 'attack' quality; adding some 180-260hz will give you a fatter sound. Play with what you have till you get something satisfactory to all.

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »

Can you send the snare down it's own channel on the snake, and take the direct-out from that channel to the Aviom? This will also help your snare cut through in the FOH mix because you'll be able to EQ it serparate from the rest of the drum kit.

When I've used V-Drums (or other such electronic drum kits) at churches in the past, I always split them into at least four channels. Usually Kick, Snare, Toms, and Cymbals.

You can then send direct outs, or a combined mix of all the drums from the console, down the Aviom line, depending on how many available channels you have on your Aviom mixers.

Without that, you're never really going to find an adequate solution given the fact that your entire drum mix is done at the kit. Plus, putting the mix in the hands of the musicians can be dangerous, even if they are professional audio guys in their day jobs... I shouldn't be trusted to mix anything except my own monitor when I'm playing guitar with the band.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Aaron Martin

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 11:09:29 PM »

Thanks for all of the great input. Much appreciated. I would like to send more channels to the mixer, but our module (TD-12) only has Left,Right, and 2 Direct outs. I might be able to route the snare to the left output and the rest of the kit to the right. Any thoughts on this? Also would you recommend using an active DI with an electric kit?

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 09:44:15 AM »

I'd just stick with a basic, passive DI.

Can you route specific triggers to the direct outs?
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

John Ward

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:03:31 AM »

Aaron: Keep it simple; route left and right as per my earlier suggestion; use two passive DI's as stated by Jeff; adjust level of snare as necessary at console and then individually on stage at the Avioms. Find a way to seperate the two so that the band can play and worship in harmony. If this means combining other (like) channels on a submaster / whatever and then to the Aviom, do it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:03:31 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.