Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Mono sum + HPF

(1/4) > >>

luis Markson:
For a retail environments,  I am assuming that in ceiling speakers are summed to mono?

I'm looking at a particular powered system that requires a HPF @ 80Hz. Without delving into expensive DSP what cost effective units existed for mono summing that include a HPF?

Chris Carpenter:

--- Quote from: luis Markson on April 19, 2011, 03:24:59 AM ---For a retail environments,  I am assuming that in ceiling speakers are summed to mono?

I'm looking at a particular powered system that requires a HPF @ 80Hz. Without delving into expensive DSP what cost effective units existed for mono summing that include a HPF?

--- End quote ---
For a retail environment, your typically looking at a 70v system. Quite a few places run these with integrated mixer/amplifier units that can take a line level signal. They usually do the summing on their own. HPF shouldn't really be necessary at retail volume levels.

What particular powered system, and for what application?

luis Markson:

--- Quote from: Chris Carpenter on April 19, 2011, 03:50:25 AM ---For a retail environment, your typically looking at a 70v system. Quite a few places run these with integrated mixer/amplifier units that can take a line level signal. They usually do the summing on their own. HPF shouldn't really be necessary at retail volume levels.

What particular powered system, and for what application?

--- End quote ---

I'm looking at this:

http://www.atprofessional.com.au/products/mk100.php

The space is a one room rectangle aprox' 10m x 5m

Subtle, ambient music

Brad Weber:

--- Quote from: luis Markson on April 19, 2011, 03:24:59 AM ---For a retail environments,  I am assuming that in ceiling speakers are summed to mono?
--- End quote ---
Typically, although some retail applications will try to create stereo zones.

--- Quote from: luis Markson on April 19, 2011, 03:24:59 AM ---I'm looking at a particular powered system that requires a HPF @ 80Hz. Without delving into expensive DSP what cost effective units existed for mono summing that include a HPF?

--- End quote ---
So you're looking at the MK100A version and having to deal with an IEC power cord at each speaker location?  The manufacturer doesn't seem to offer information online beyond the basic product page data so I'm not sure where it is identified that the speaker needs an 80Hz high pass filter, but if it does then it seems that a 70V system might make sense as even cheaper transformers could probably handle that at ambient music levels without transformer low frequency saturation or response being a concern.

luis Markson:

--- Quote from: Brad Weber on April 19, 2011, 07:51:00 AM ---Typically, although some retail applications will try to create stereo zones.
So you're looking at the MK100A version and having to deal with an IEC power cord at each speaker location?  The manufacturer doesn't seem to offer information online beyond the basic product page data so I'm not sure where it is identified that the speaker needs an 80Hz high pass filter, but if it does then it seems that a 70V system might make sense as even cheaper transformers could probably handle that at ambient music levels without transformer low frequency saturation or response being a concern.

--- End quote ---

I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with 1 unit. The filter was recommended via a phone conversation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version