ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Youth room prep...  (Read 5001 times)

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
Re: Youth room prep...
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 08:04:23 am »

Eric Hermle wrote on Sun, 01 February 2009 00:26

I was thinking something like Real Traps at the wall to wall and wall to ceiling intersections to suck any nasty bass gotten by having mix position close to a wall and/or corner.

The seating area we built this summer (see picture in earlier post) had amazing positive effects on the room's acoustics. Historically, the room has been very reverberant. There's a sense of intimacy and 2-way sound connection between the seating area and the performance area that I never expected.

BTW, the seating area was made up of 23/32 CDX over an 18 gauge steel 2x4 frame with heavy padding and commercial carpeting over the plywood.

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 03:30:56 pm »

I am not qualified to speak about their testing methods or how they are marketed but, what I can attest to is that realtraps work...at least in a control room situation as I have measured the difference before and after placing them. Again this may have no bearing in a large room and their may be better ways to skin that cat.

Brad Weber

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »

Just to clarify, I am not questioning the product or it being effective, only the testing methods and numerical results presented.  For example, mounting a material some distance off the test chamber surfaces in a test procedure that assumes a diffuse, reverberant sound field theoretically exposes both sides of the test sample to the room.  Doing this and then calculating the absorption coefficients based on just the face area for one side, which is apparently what was done to derive the numbers presented, gives false, and inflated, results.  There are other anomalies as well, such as why mounting the products in a corner would matter if you are assuming a diffuse, reverberant field in the test chamber.  So the RealTraps products may indeed be as good or better than the products they compare them to in their tests, I just wouldn't put too much trust in the actual numbers or claims such as their products having six times the absorption of a competing product that are based on those results.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.