ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: labeling snake boxes rack inputs etc  (Read 3884 times)

Dan Cascino

labeling snake boxes rack inputs etc
« on: January 31, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »

Hi,
Iam in the process of cleaning up all the wiring related to our sound system in the church. The installers left a big mess-O-wires. I found some good self laminating labels for the wires but now I am looking at our "homemeade" snake box that sits near the choir, an older patch panel that has little pieces of masking tape with scribble on it, etc. Anyone had any luck finding an inexpensive labeling solution that looks professional that would be good for these situations.
Dan

John Fiorello

Re: labeling snake boxes rack inputs etc
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PT-80-P-touch-Electronic-Label ing/dp/B000FHYZRW/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Make sure you clean the surface you're sticking the label to so it doesn't peel off over time.  That seems to be the worst for me.  Some labels start to peel off over time, then things get labeled differently and you're not sure if you trust it.  Then you're spending a Saturday morning following cables and re-labeling everything.  And if you buy a bunch of tape, you can use the same labeler for a long time.

JF
Stop. Think. Speak.

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »

John Fiorello wrote on Sat, 31 January 2009 21:16

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PT-80-P-touch-Electronic-Label ing/dp/B000FHYZRW/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Make sure you clean the surface you're sticking the label to so it doesn't peel off over time.  That seems to be the worst for me.  Some labels start to peel off over time, then things get labeled differently and you're not sure if you trust it.  

Echo the good experiences with the P-Touch. We used it on the wiring for our conversion of sanctuary architectural lighting to DMX control, and addition of basic DMX-controlled theatrical lighting.

We mostly ended up with cable ends to label, so we just doubled the nomenclature and looped the label over the wire and stuck adhesive backing to adhesive backing. Several hot summers have passed on that sanctuary attic wiring, and it is stuck as tight as the day we put it on.

I find that clear weatherstripping tape is good for protecting labels on flat surfaces.

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 09:43:01 PM »

I second the process of "clean the surface befor applying" P-Touch labels and other stick-on labels. Use alcohol, but try it first on some inconspicuous part of the painted box because sometimes this can discolor (cloud) some paints.

Also; pressing the tape for several minutes helps compress the adhesive (back & forth) as it sets up and cures. With clean fingers, glide your finger over the tape for a few minutes to help it set. Warm room temperature also is good when first applying the tape labels.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 07:03:50 PM »

I understand this is out of your budget, but hopefully others here who are looking for this information and want to do it better will see this message.....

In my opinion, the correct way to label wires is with a high quality thermal printer designed for standard, heat shrink, and self laminating labels.

The majority of the time I use self laminating labels.

For those who don't know, these labels look like this.

http://images.cableorganizer.com/brady/tls2200/wires-self-la m_lg.jpg

You order them in a couple of different sizes depending on the diameter of the cables being labeled.

After printing you stick on the printed part of the label itself and then the remainder of label wraps back over to protect the label and make it all but immune to nastyness on the cable as the label is stuck to its clean self.

After stuck the labels survive almost anything - including being pulled through hundreds of feet of bend-happy conduit, having tape ripped off the top, and if you are working with direct burial they seem to hold up great underground or in water.

The heat shrink labels are just that - labels printed directly on heat shrink. These are handy for applications where you want to bundle cables together and label the bundles.

The thermal printer not only means there is no ink to run, but it also seems to make getting legible labels in very small font sizes easy.

I personally use Brady TLS-2200 printers, but there is a number of good manufactures of labeling equipment.

I understand that these machines aren't for everyone. But if you do enough work that labeling is a necessity, its one of those things that just makes sense to spend the money and do it right.

Karl P

Audio Team Leader - CCH

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »

Karl's idea is also my favorite... if one can afford that option. Panduit makes a good model.

Anyway, I use P-Touch on a regular basis. Things like rack gear, shelving, mic numbers, etc. It's a pretty darn good option. I love using black labels with various color printing to make them a little lower-profile on stage.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.