ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easter 2009  (Read 5121 times)

Allan Stevenson

Easter 2009
« on: January 07, 2009, 04:13:55 PM »

I will try to keep this clear.

We are planning our Easter presentation.  Generally, it involves a lot of pre-produced media that we shoot and edit.  This year we are planning the same... but more.  

First things first.  A lot of the drama will be shot on location as a multi camera (2 or 3 cameras) shoot - each scene will be 1 take all the way through because we want to present the drama as separate angles projected on separate screens.

Question 1 - What would you use (rental) to roll 3 separate video files (in-sync) to 3 separate screens?  Audio will come from one of the players.  Note: I have a few ideas about this, but they are all broadcast solutions and are costly.

Second.
Each screen (2 projected, 1 soft LED) needs to be fed from a switcher that is capable of dissolving between 2 (maybe 3) composite video sources (video server, easy worhip...).

Question 2 - What switching devices are available for rent that can handle dissolving between composite - un-synced video sources.  I need 3 of them - hoping there are some small rack mounted solutions as opposed to say... 3 Panasonic MX-50s.

Your help is appreciated.

Feel free to ask questions if any of this is unclear.

Allan
Allan Stevenson
Peoples Church Hamilton
Ontario, Canada

George Linkenhoker

Re: Easter 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:16:39 PM »

Hi Allan,

It looks like you came up with some tough questions.  I get stuck on the first one you have myself.   The only thing I'm coming up with would be to simply have 3 playback units and try to cue hitting play amongst the technicians you have, might not be perfect but more cost effective.  

As for the second question, it sounds like you are looking to have a seamless switcher for each screen.  There are a wide variety of rack style versions.  The church I am with has an Analog Way OctoVue FX, the company I work for uses FSR's Compass series and Extron products as well. You will have to check with your local options to see what they have, but I'm sure that they will have something similar.  Depending on the make, you might need something to scale the image into the switcher from composite. You might also consider a few video distribution amps to split the signals if you are trying to do the various sources to all the screens. Of course, you could always do a matrix switch in there to select source to ouput.

Hope that helps,

-George L.

George Linkenhoker

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »

I had a second thought on your playback issue, moment of clarity as I was trying to get to sleep last night.  If you can get your video playback to DVD format, then "in theory" you could pick up 3 identical DVD players.  Same make, same model, could be cheaper decks from consumer electronics store to save money, and then like stack them all in one spot.  Take one of the remotes, and they should all 3 respond when you hit a button on the remote.  This may require you to manually cue the DVDs, but should work as a "Go" button for them all.  I thought about this because we have setup multiple plasma monitors in rooms and when you line them up, you can only step back so far when using the remote or you end up changing settings on other monitors near by.  

Hope that helps.

-George L.

John Fiorello

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:48:21 PM »

What type of presentation software do you currently use?

At our church, we would use 3 separate computers, each hooked up to our Kramer.  And like George said, we would use 3 techs to fire each of the videos at the same time from the booth.  We've done 2 before where we needed lyrics on a video screen for the stage, but the congregation would only see video.

Mix that with some wider shots of the people and no one should be able to see a slight delay...

That's what we've done anyway Smile

BTW, my brother lives in Hamilton, he went up there to work with a church plant a few years ago.

JF
Stop. Think. Speak.

John Fiorello

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »

Allan Stevenson wrote on Wed, 07 January 2009 16:13

Second.
Each screen (2 projected, 1 soft LED) needs to be fed from a switcher that is capable of dissolving between 2 (maybe 3) composite video sources

As far as this goes, are you going to be moving from the 3 source material to 1 master source once, or back and forth through the service?  If the sources are all composite, a simple video board would work.  Maybe rent an Edirol v4 or v8

Of course, hooking it all up together depends a whole lot on how you're gonna use it in the service...

JF
Stop. Think. Speak.

Allan Stevenson

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 03:07:28 PM »

Thanks for your input guys - especially the dvd idea.

Here's a cost effective way I have found to do this.  Believe me it was a challenge!  We are going to cut all of our video in FCP, and export all 3 fideo files into after effects.

In AE, we will create 1 very wide video file (2160x480) which will contain all 3 video streams.  We will playback via quicktime player in full screen mode.

I bought a Matrox triplehead2go (digital) which will split that big video file into 3 monitor outputs which I can then feed into whichever switcher(s) we decide on.

This will work as we have already tested it.  There is a little overlap of the video frames in each monitor.  We'll do some testing and tweak our AE file so each monitor has nice clean edges (probably a slight black between each frame).

I was looking at a broadcast playback option like a doremi or EVS.  They were going to cost way more then I had, but this Matrox box cost $400 (in Canada).  It will be fun!
Allan Stevenson
Peoples Church Hamilton
Ontario, Canada

George Linkenhoker

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 03:19:43 PM »

Interesting find on that, I will have to take a look at that unit. Oddly enough, I had typed out then deleted something about making a super sized video image then was going to mention a video wall type processor but I wasn't sure what type of editing abilities you guys had or if that would work when you needed to switch to other inputs for each screen, not to mention the price on some of those units.   And of course, that is where you guys are all like "sure. . .you thought of that too. . . ."  Laughing

-George L.

Allan Stevenson

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 02:50:33 PM »

Hey it's always good to have lot's of people involved.  The more people involved, the more ideas you can have.

Sometimes the ideas work and sometimes they don't.  Thanks for your help - I appreciate it.

I will try to upload some pictures when we get into rehearsal (beginning of April) as well as a review of how the technology worked.

Have a good one.
Allan Stevenson
Peoples Church Hamilton
Ontario, Canada

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 10:27:01 PM »

Question 1 - What would you use (rental) to roll 3 separate video files (in-sync) to 3 separate screens? Audio will come from one of the players. Note: I have a few ideas about this, but they are all broadcast solutions and are costly.

I dont know about renting this but have you ever looked at Pro presenter and pro video player? Why is it three separate video files why not 1 file split to the screens? Pro video player would allow you to take 1 3000x768 ish video file and do grid mapping to divide it between the screens fully synced. Do you have any Macs around maybe all youll need is the software. www.renewedvision.com  take a look and give them a call the guys are great and they will be happy to explain it to you. You might be able to even do it on one machine with a triple head to go card. It will take your computer video output and stretch across three screens as well. The card is made by matrox and works on PC's as well. I did a show a couple of weeks ago with the guys from Media Shout they seemed very confident that their product could do this as well. on aside note some of the stuff the new media shout 4.0 will do looks really cool.

Question 2 - What switching devices are available for rent that can handle dissolving between composite - un-synced video sources. I need 3 of them - hoping there are some small rack mounted solutions as opposed to say... 3 Panasonic MX-50s

Something that should be in quite a few peoples inventory would be  Analog way Graphic II's with a remote.
Also Vista Spyder would do all of this but would be quite costly.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »

I only read your original post. If you do the 3head2go box with three switchers you wont need to worry about trimming them in after effects you can just use the scalers on the switchers to trim.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.