ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: noise in pulpit mic  (Read 5593 times)

Bill Beach

Re: noise in pulpit mic
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 04:45:41 PM »

actually I do use a mic stand.
the podium our Pastor uses is like a slightly over grown music stand solidly built of wood.  he often moves it around when preaching.  no mounting a mic on that!!  the Pastor uses a Countryman E6i so the 'podium' mic is for announcements or some other presentation.
should I assume the AT 857-QM is also a 'not so good' alternative?  that's what I was using, and was getting better results with the PRO37, except for the plosives.
Bill Beach
Tech Team Leader

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »

The AT857 series is discontinued.  It was inferior for podium/pulpit use to the Shure MX, the Countryman and the Earthworks mentioned in other responses to this thread.  The gain before feedback was not very good and it did not have very good off-axis response.

I did not re-read the posts but from what I am remembering of the various mics that have been recomended all would be better options than either that you currently have.

Remember too, the standard log 20 inverse square law is still in effect.  you have to have the mic close enough to the presenter and/or the presenter has to speak loudly enough to get their voice to the mic with enough acoustic gain or you will have feedback no matter what mic you choose.
You have approximately a 6dB drop in SPL for every doubling of distance that the presnter is from the mic capsule.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »

Windscreen?

One church I worked with, and their solution was good enough that I didn't bother to dig any deeper, had this problem with an MX418 (usually a podium mic I find satisfactory).

They found, and I don't know where, an oversize windscreen, about 1.5" in diameter. It may have been an optional part from Shure... Shure employees are all over this area, and one of them was a volunteer at said church.

I thought the windscreen was just a safety mechanism when I first showed-up, a comfort blanket of sorts. I took it off one morning and immediately regretted my decision. Plosives, and all sorts of breath noises. The EQ that morning was off the charts.

Perhaps you just need a honkin' huge windscreen.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.