ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Help and understanding  (Read 3305 times)

Larry Ash

Video Help and understanding
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:13:42 PM »

OK gentlemen I am new to this video thing, so please, sorry teach me like a five year old LOL
I have CAT 5 ran all over this building and not being used so from what I have read I can send a single over cat five from a computer to a tv.  But hears my question will that carry sound, and if not, can I run regular cable (tv wire)  We are looking at putting the announcement, that is in the sanctuary on a another cp and broadcasting it on four different tv monitors through out the campus(different building) so what will I need to use and please remember I have a very small budget do to economical times!!

Brad Weber

Re: Video Help and understanding
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 06:48:47 AM »

Larry Ash wrote on Mon, 29 December 2008 22:13

OK gentlemen I am new to this video thing, so please, sorry teach me like a five year old LOL
I have CAT 5 ran all over this building and not being used so from what I have read I can send a single over cat five from a computer to a tv.  But hears my question will that carry sound, and if not, can I run regular cable (tv wire)  We are looking at putting the announcement, that is in the sanctuary on a another cp and broadcasting it on four different tv monitors through out the campus(different building) so what will I need to use and please remember I have a very small budget do to economical times!!

In general, yes, you can send video and audio over a single UTP (CAT5/5e/6) cable provided you have the proper interface devices at both ends that support it.

Exactly what you need depends on a few things including how you ran the cable, what video inputs the displays support and what video signal and format you have for a source.  It would really help if you could describe how and where you get the signal that you plan to distribute, what the displays are or what in;puts they have and how you have the cable run.

On the latter, it should be confirmed that what you have is point-to-point paths, audio and video over UTP requires a direct path, it is not data and cannot be run through a network.  Just wanting to be sure as some people misunderstand this issue and believe that having a network jack means they can run audio and video over it but this type of signal distribution is separate from any network/data distribution.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Brian Kent Tennyson

• http://www.visitec.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:37:21 AM »

Larry, I would recommend this box from AMX.

http://www.amx.com/products/UDM-1604C.asp

It has four inputs, any signal type, and 16 outputs over category cable. The receiver units also have RS-232 and IR control of your displays so that you can schedule on/off times and composite, s-vid, component and VGA outputs. It also comes in a 8x8 version.

Disclaimer: As of today, I no longer represent AMX.
You can't get enough, but enough ain't the test.

Brian Kent Tennyson
Visitec Inc.
www.visitec.com

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:11:13 PM »

Brian Kent Tennyson wrote on Wed, 31 December 2008 09:37

Larry, I would recommend this box from AMX.

http://www.amx.com/products/UDM-1604C.asp

Took me a second to figure out of it was actually an Endeleo or AutoPatch product (it is Endeleo) but I guess they all have the AMX name on them now.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Brian Kent Tennyson

• http://www.visitec.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »

Yeah Endeleo. Autopatch doesn't have scaling anywhere in their line. Which is a BIG hole. AMX built their own scallers for the new TPI-Pro 4 and it is excellent. It's a mystery to me why they haven't put it in a Precis or Solecist box. AMX has gotten a lot slower at turning new product, but when they do it's pretty much spot on. Lessons learned, I suppose.
You can't get enough, but enough ain't the test.

Brian Kent Tennyson
Visitec Inc.
www.visitec.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.