ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 16:9 vs 4:3  (Read 7485 times)

Arnold B. Krueger

• http://www.pcavtech.com
Re: 16:9 vs 4:3
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 10:27:01 AM »

Kristian Stevenson wrote on Thu, 18 December 2008 03:11

All this RGBHV jargon is running together in my head...

RGBHV just means breaking out the tiny coax that is actually in a typical HD15 cable so that you can interface it with individual cables that have far lower loss over long distances.

The usual cable of choice for long distance RGBHV is quad shielded RG6 with the largest possible solid copper center conductor, which is usually 18 gauge. You may have to look around to avoid a cable with a steel core.

Most better video splitter and distribution amps have some selectable gain to partially overcome line losses, but long runs of HD15 cable have so much loss that it is hard to overcome.

Quote:

Is this what I need with an HD15 Adapter for one end??
 http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/video-cables/hdtv-  projector-cables/rgbhv-cables/rgbhv-cable-5-bnc-to-5-bnc-556 11/prod55611.html

Interesting - same ad and source that I ordered my RBGHV adapters from. The key is to make the adaptor cables as short as is reasaonbly possible (usually 6') so that you get the video into the RGBHV low-loss RG6 cables.  

Make sure that each of the 5 cables is as exactly the same length. I laid out my RGBHV cable package in the longest hallway in the church, and also checked the length markers on the RG6 cable to ensure that each cable was the same length within a few inches.

Compression BNC connectors are probably the easiest to use for termination. You'll probably end up with a handful of gender menders in the system because the BNC connectors tend to be just one sex.

Also, if you run the cable in a drop ceiling, or attic, make sure that the cable is plenum rated. Otherwise, put it into steel conduit. Conduit is pretty easy to work with if you can avoid having to bend it.

Brad Weber

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 12:35:07 PM »

Arnold B. Krueger wrote on Thu, 18 December 2008 10:27

Most better video splitter and distribution amps have some selectable gain to partially overcome line losses, but long runs of HD15 cable have so much loss that it is hard to overcome.

Some RGBHV DAs do have output gain adjustments but I believe that most VGA distribution amplifiers are fixed unity gain devices.  Also, be careful not to confuse peaking or equalization with gain.  Peaking or cable equalization/compensation adjustments can help offset that losses over long runs are greater at higher frequencies and are often sufficient for reasonable length runs with good cable but they are not an overall gain adjustment.

Unless you really want or need to have a custom length cable or cannot install a pre-terminated cable due to the size of the connectors and how the cable has to run or other limitations, then a pre-terminated cable makes more sense than trying to terminate the cable yourself.  Not only can termination equipment be expensive, but you also need to use the right connectors for that particular cable and so on, unless you terminate cables on a regular basis it is usually easier and less expensive to use pre-terminated cable.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »

Yeah My DA is the FSR CDA-4 which has an adjustable gain on it. I am going to have to run the cable across the ceiling along a steel truss so I gues I need the plenum cable. I would like to find a good deal but I also want the picture to look nice so if you guys could point me to 100' of "good" 5-wire plenum, pre-terminated cable witht eh BNC ends, that would be helpful because me searching around google for the best deals often yields some crappy results...lol

Brian Kent Tennyson

• http://www.visitec.com
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »

Find  reputable dealer and he can probably make up the cable you need out of his stock. If not he can order it from Liberty Wire for you, at whatever length you need. Cable is NOT an area you want to go cheap on.

remember if the cable is to long you can always coil it, but you can't stretch it if it's to short.
You can't get enough, but enough ain't the test.

Brian Kent Tennyson
Visitec Inc.
www.visitec.com

Kristian Stevenson

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »

yeah i am sure that 100ft is long enough. thats what we've got running to it now and it is a little too long. But i don't think 75' will cut it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.