ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somebody check my calculations on these DSP setting?  (Read 3253 times)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
Somebody check my calculations on these DSP setting?
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:56:27 PM »

biamping LA460's with Crown K2's on the Low/Mids and QSC MX700 on the HF drivers. Each bridged into two cabs a side.

EAW's tunings say L/F +7 and HF -3.

K2's gain is 32.88dB using the 1.4v sensitivity setting. +6dB for bridged operation = 38.88

The QSC's gain is 31dB +6 for bridged mode = 37dB.

So the DSP's gain settings should be adjusted 1.88dB for the difference making:

Low/Mids +7 and HF's -1.12

Am I doin' it right?
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
Re: Somebody check my calculations on these DSP setting?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »

What I really need to know is do you adjust the gain in dB of the DSP proportionally to the gain of the amp in dB? So if one amp produces 5dB more gain then the other your using on the same cab you should adjust the output gain at the DSP 5dB lower for that band to compensate?
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »

Why not just use fixed gain on your amp (i.e. 26dB (x20) or 32dB (x40))? Then you don't have to do all this math, your relative levels actually are, and if you swap out another amp in the future you don't have to change your crossover settings.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:59:45 PM »

Why not just use fixed gain on your amp (i.e. 26dB (x20) or 32dB (x40))? Then you don't have to do all this math, your relative levels actually are, and if you swap out another amp in the future you don't have to change your crossover settings.

I dont wanna put 1250 watt on 2 150 watt drivers when I can use another lower watt amp and put that power somewhere where it's really needed.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »

I dont wanna put 1250 watt on 2 150 watt drivers when I can use another lower watt amp and put that power somewhere where it's really needed.

What does that have to do with what Bennett suggested? The output power doesn't matter, the gain does.

Mac

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:48:17 AM »

What does that have to do with what Bennett suggested? The output power doesn't matter, the gain does.

Mac

The QSC I'm using on the highs does not have a fixed gain option unfortunately. The only amp I mentioned that does is the Crown K2. Which is 1250 per side at 4 ohms. And I want to use that headroom elsewhere. I should have been more clear in my last post about that. Bennett had a good suggestion if applicable but out of 200+ views on this thread nobody has actually answered the question from my original post which was does amp gain (in dB) differences directly translate to how you adjust the output (in dB) at your DSP for different outputs. I did however find the information from another forum. The answer is yes.

I gotta be honest with you guys that lately I find more criticism then help on these forums and I think three times about posting anything or answering someone else post. And I've been here since the CompuServe days when I was just a kid mixing in bars and talent shows. And I don't mean to diminish the depth of valuable knowledge and experience members have here but you guys should really try and help more than criticize. Any number of members could have helped me out pretty quick. I've been met with downright hostility, assumptions and name calling by people I've never met in the last couple years on these forums and I really really hate to see that around a place I've loved and learned so much from over the years.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:40:04 PM by Marsellus Fariss »
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:48:17 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.