ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX w/DVD Video  (Read 4151 times)

Marc Neeley

DMX w/DVD Video
« on: November 13, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »

Hi,
 I've been working on a solution to lay down a "lighting" track along with a DVD video that I need to play for a show. I've created the video that has two audio tracks, but I am looking for a reasonable solution to add the timed cueing to a standard DMX lighting board. I can run from a laptop (PC or Mac). The point is that I would like push-button start for the show while I am mixing live audio. Still only two hands last time I checked  Smile

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Marc Smile

Greg Hertfelder

Re: DMX w/DVD Video
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »

One device I stumbled on to is the Elation DR-512 in which DMX-512 lighting commands may be recorded in advance and then played back. I have never used the device, but in theory you could press Play simultaneously on the DVD player and the DR-512 and the two would play back video and lighting cues in real time.

An inversion of this methodology would be the Rosco Keystroke, which fires off computer cues (such as audio or video file playback or PowerPoint slide changes) from the lighting console.

The ideal computer software would play video files and output DMX-512 cues, SMPTE time code and MIDI in a video editing framework. (Sony Vegas, are you listening?)

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 07:31:28 PM »

QLab can do this with the associated modules.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Marc Neeley

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 10:38:49 PM »

Greg,
 I too had run into the Elation device when looking at Elation software products. It looked interesting from the standpoint of less moving parts. That can be good when you have limited personnel. I had hoped to program the lights in the same tool since  timestamps, etc. would be visible to the programmer, but it was a good leading contender for this project. The Rosco product is just as interesting. I would need to pull the video onto a workstation unless the player on the PC would have punch-in, punch-out capability. Sometimes spin up time lags for things like that. Ripping the video would possibly overcome that though. Thanks for the leads. I'll continue looking at the links.

Thanks,
Marc Smile

Marc Neeley

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »

Karl,
 Nice product Smile  Looks like it controls all three media sources. The lights would need a MIDI-to-DMX dongle, I suppose. The light board I have is a simple analog board with DMX control. Thanks for the suggestion.
Marc Smile

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.