ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: about Ashly Protea 4.24C  (Read 3363 times)

Christy L Manoppo (okky)

about Ashly Protea 4.24C
« on: December 09, 2008, 12:30:30 AM »

1st of all, I would like to thank all the replies and notes that I received from this post :

New Equipment Suggestion

Lesson learned, and I will remember all your opinions the next time I got involved in an AVL project .

Now, an old friend of mine who once to be a sound operator in my church found a dsp that once belongs to the church. it's an Ashly Protea 4.24C.

I would like to use it to somewhat improve my current PA in which, in my opinion, sounds terrible.

ok, here's the current rig that we use right now.

Gl2400-40 (but with 1 bus d.e.a.d -- aux 3, matrix 3 and groups 3).
3x DBX 166xl for drums dynamics
lex MX200 for some effects.
behringer FBQ6200  Embarassed

all those processors are connected with a send/return except the mx200, which I use aux 4 send mixes.

the PA,
- 2x JBL PRX518s which haves its own built-in xover, which I activate it to reduce the LF frequency pressures for the speakers below,
we put these in the front of the stage, in which the stage is elevated around 3~4 feet.

- 6x JBL EON15 G2 in pole stands, in which I put the in 2x3 configuration, 2 in front, 2 in middle, 2 in the rear but facing toward the stage.

for monitors
- 2x JBL EON15 Sp1 in pole stands
- 2x JBL EON10 G2 as little wedges.

for the room dimensions and acoustics, I'll try to describe as much as I can,
- basketball gym which can hold about 500 persons.
approx dimensions are 150ft x 100ft
- floor, walls I think are hard concrete.
- stage area is like a pocket, located at the end of the gym.
- the walls of the stage are covered with a vinyl like drapes.

as for the last 2 speakers in which we face it towards the stage, we just have to do that because we got some complaints that the sound are bleeding outside to our neighbors.

I want to use the ashly dsp for this, can you guys teach me the do's and dont's? also some experimenting tips? or some speaker placing suggestions?

Thanks guys...
Christy L Manoppo
Coordinator for AVL Dept,
Bethany Indonesian Church of GOD,
Philadelphia, PA

Perfect? we can't. Excellent? We can.

John Fiorello

Re: about Ashly Protea 4.24C
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:49:02 PM »

Wow.  OK, well, I'm not one of these sound geniuses, but I'll try and give some input.

But first, I have just a few questions.

How deep and wide are people sitting?
How many people are there?
When you say 2 monitors on sticks, are you referring to the speakers at the back of the room? (or why are they on sticks?)
What is the band setup and who is getting the other 2 monitors?
How long do you think you'll be having service in the Gym?
Is the stage on the long or short end of the Gym?
Are the subs on the stage or on the floor (in front confuses me).
How wide is the stage.
How wide is the band.
How wide are your speakers.
I can guess why your current situation would sound terrible, but can you explain why you think it sounds terrible?
How far back are the middle speakers?  Where are they aimed?
How old is the Ashly?

Lets start with those first, that should help us figure out a bit more about your situation.

The more information you can give us, the better!

JF
Stop. Think. Speak.

Christy L Manoppo (okky)

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:34:50 AM »

Quote:

How long do you think you'll be having service in the Gym?

Thanks for the reply, we already use the gym for almost 3 years now, and in a couple of months from now, scheduled on the beginning of march, we are moving to our new sanctuary.

We already contracted an AVL consultant. They already made an analysis, and already proposed a solution for us. Unfortunately, in the process of the renovation of the new sanctuary, there are a lot of surprises that just showed up. That forced us to cut down budgets very... very drastically, so in the end, we just signed a wire pull deal with them first. And start from there, in which I hope the next phase of the deal would be installing the new PA, the video solution, the lighting solution, and at the end, the new console, in which I still kinda confused..

Quote:

I can guess why your current situation would sound terrible, but can you explain why you think it sounds terrible?

terrible? ... I can't complain. I guess there are a lot more worse situations than ours.
When we first moved in, we only have 4 EON15 G2 and 2 EON15 SP1. In that process, we blow 2 of them. So we brought in the PRX subs. After that, no more blown speakers, only some temporary distorted sounds a couple times... but after the asley was found... put a limiter there and here... tweak some EQ (only like 2db cut and boost over here and there). Somehow it sounds better.

I think it's still sounds terrible because, I dont have that "sparkle" sound. Especially in the sibilances, and cymbals dont sound that good, kinda harsh.

I guess the gym which makes sound way worse....

Quote:

What is the band setup and who is getting the other 2 monitors?

Well, if we are the audience (congregation), then from left far behind, are the drum kit, the bass player, the lead guitar player, the piano player (digital piano), the keyboardist, and then the 2nd guitarist.
In front of them are the bg singers, and in front of them are usually the worship leaders, and the pastor.
There are 4 monitors, 1 pair of EON 10" are positioned as wedges at the front of the stage, facing the pastor.

The other pair are EON 15 SP1, on pole stands raised around 6ft high, aimed to the bg singers and the musicians (kinda turned around 30 degrees inward).

I know its not an ideal solution (prone to feedback). But because its just a temporary situation, so everyone can cope with it. Fortunately, feedback is not a severe problem. The only problem is, the stage sound is so loud (because of the loud drums, so everyone played loud) the PA needs to be lot louder.

Quote:

How old is the Ashly?

dunno exactly. Maybe >4 years old. I didn't bought it. It's a treasure from a friend of mine.

Next march, when we move in, we will use the EON's temporarily. And I also request the AVL consultant to calibrate the ashley for us, in which, they agreed to do it.
Christy L Manoppo
Philadelphia, PA

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:03:28 AM »

The Ashly 4.24C is still a current model so you should be able to get a lot of information, including the software, from Ashly's web site.  It definitely could help your system but if configured or programmed ineffectively could just as easily make it worse.  If you don't have any experience with DSP units or any of the tools commonly used to help tune the system with them then you probably want to get some help.

I would think about getting rid of the speakers at the rear or maybe going to speakers at the front, 1/3 and 2/3 points and just turning down the rear ones if you have to.  If you are getting complaints from neighbors then you just need to turn it down and try to get a handle on stage noise.  Maybe something like a drum enclosure would be a good investment and could be used in the new Sanctuary as well.

You mentioned that budget forced you to cut out everything but the infrastructure.  I hope they still planned for the system in everything else they did such as hang points, power and so on.  As it is, you will end up incurring additional cost and aggravation by breaking up the system installation, if you also have to address these other building system issues you may find yourself looking at surprisingly high costs for the future work compared to what was initially bid.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Christy L Manoppo (okky)

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 10:03

You mentioned that budget forced you to cut out everything but the infrastructure.  I hope they still planned for the system in everything else they did such as hang points, power and so on.  As it is, you will end up incurring additional cost and aggravation by breaking up the system installation, if you also have to address these other building system issues you may find yourself looking at surprisingly high costs for the future work compared to what was initially bid.

Thanks Brad for the info. And yes, we put the infrastructure as if they are the complete bid. All the wires that goes for the future installment of speakers, power sequencings, lighting fixtures, video will be there.

In short, what's in the proposed solution gonna be, the wires are already there.

Quote:

I would think about getting rid of the speakers at the rear or maybe going to speakers at the front, 1/3 and 2/3 points and just turning down the rear ones if you have to. If you are getting complaints from neighbors then you just need to turn it down and try to get a handle on stage noise. Maybe something like a drum enclosure would be a good investment and could be used in the new Sanctuary as well.

I wish to. But if I do that, then the audience that sits at the back wont hear the message properly. And yes, a drum enclosure or a drum shield is in my thoughts too, especially in the new sanctuary.

If anyone interested on how's our stage like ... here...

I uploaded a video during our christmas celebration 24th december ago... Rolling Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avUtlkwwGTA

you can almost see some of the monitors, how the band are set up... and some.
About the quality of the sound ... its just a simple mix came from the matrix out of our console. No mastering, no post-production stuff(s)... just plain sound from the console. Embarassed
Christy L Manoppo
Philadelphia, PA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.