ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recessed subwoofers  (Read 13024 times)

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
Recessed subwoofers
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »

I'm working on a project for a customer and they would like all the speakers recessed in the plaster/drywall ceiling...including subwoofers.

It's an older building and the framing is 12" centers leaving about 11"-ish to mount speakers in. I'm having trouble finding a subwoofer that will fit into a cavity that narrow. I've looked at JBL, Atlas, and a few others.

Appication is BGM but a touch louder...would prefer to stay away from 70-volt, but if that's all that fits...

Any help would be appreciated.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
Re: Recessed subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »

I'm working on a project for a customer and they would like all the speakers recessed in the plaster/drywall ceiling...including subwoofers.

It's an older building and the framing is 12" centers leaving about 11"-ish to mount speakers in. I'm having trouble finding a subwoofer that will fit into a cavity that narrow. I've looked at JBL, Atlas, and a few others.

Appication is BGM but a touch louder...would prefer to stay away from 70-volt, but if that's all that fits...

The Tannoy CMS801sb might work (1x10" @ 6 ohms).  It requires an 11.61" cutout.
Tannoy's iw62 tS would definitely fit the bill (2x 6.5" @ 8 ohms each); cutout is 7.39" wide.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:46:15 AM »

How much depth are you working with?

Aaron Johnson

• Johnson AV Engineering
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »

Aaron

Johnson AV Engineering

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »

Re: In-wall...actually, in-ceiling. Top floor of a REALLY old commercial building.

Re: Depth...above space is the attic...so several feet.

The Tannoy units look like they might fit the bill. I'm trying to avoid custom boxes or altering the framing to fit other subs. The budget isn't there for stuff like that. I need something that allows me to cut a hole, shove the thing in, and be done with it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:09:57 AM »

Re: In-wall...actually, in-ceiling. Top floor of a REALLY old commercial building.

The Tannoy units look like they might fit the bill. I'm trying to avoid custom boxes or altering the framing to fit other subs. The budget isn't there for stuff like that. I need something that allows me to cut a hole, shove the thing in, and be done with it.

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/Product.aspx?PId=216&MId=2

Best I can come up with; still a bit big for your application.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »

You could always mount the subwoofers in the attic space (downfiring), and just put a grill into the ceiling right below it.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 05:20:50 PM »

You could always mount the subwoofers in the attic space (downfiring), and just put a grill into the ceiling right below it.

Ahh, YES. That kind of thing is done all the time. Instead of trying to defy the laws of physics (what kind of low end do you think you are going to get from a 6-1/2" driver?) you can get nearly anything up in the attic and put grills in the ceiling. Straddle a couple of bays.

-Hal

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »

Ahh, YES. That kind of thing is done all the time. Instead of trying to defy the laws of physics (what kind of low end do you think you are going to get from a 6-1/2" driver?) you can get nearly anything up in the attic and put grills in the ceiling. Straddle a couple of bays.

-Hal

I know this is done all the time...I've done it myself before. However, anything too large to fit through the 12" joist space is too big to fit through the attic access hole. Anyway...I'm not looking to re-arrange peoples' DNA...just fill in a little but below what the rest of the little recessed speakers can do.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 09:32:20 AM »

Danley TH-28
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 08:30:22 PM »

However, anything too large to fit through the 12" joist space is too big to fit through the attic access hole.

I guess the attic is only accessable to midgets.

-Hal

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »

However, anything too large to fit through the 12" joist space is too big to fit through the attic access hole.

I guess the attic is only accessable to midgets.

-Hal

I suppose he'll have to carry the wood and parts up and fab the cabinet in the attic  ;)
Hey, the next person who worked on it would get a kick out of it.

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 10:49:35 PM »

I actually believe that the most cost effective way is to have Carpenter/Contractor Cut and Head out a ceiling joist for each location.

This could most likely be done in about an hour each, including drywall patching.

Look around the attic and avoid any Wiring/Pipes/Ducts if possible.

Also if you look around, I think you might find an attic opening 30"X30".

Believe it or not, Most of the time, Framing out what you need is the Most cost effective way to do things.

Regards,  John

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »

I agree, especially if you consider how many subs do you really need anyway. You don't give any details about the space but if you take advantage of in corner or close to wall placement I'm betting the requirements are few and not that costly.

-Hal
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:10:13 PM by Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC »

MikeHarris

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 01:35:46 PM »

we have used the Martin CS10 with success

http://www.martin-audio.com/products/CS10.asp

Tho it seems too big for this install
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:43:51 PM by MikeHarris »

ClydeAndrew

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 04:55:36 AM »

we have used the Martin CS10 with success

http://www.martin-audio.com/products/CS10.asp

Tho it seems too big for this install

Nice thread. these are all great ideas to keep in mind.

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »

I actually believe that the most cost effective way is to have Carpenter/Contractor Cut and Head out a ceiling joist for each location.

This could most likely be done in about an hour each, including drywall patching.

Look around the attic and avoid any Wiring/Pipes/Ducts if possible.

Also if you look around, I think you might find an attic opening 30"X30".

Believe it or not, Most of the time, Framing out what you need is the Most cost effective way to do things.

Regards,  John

The only access into the attic is a framed hole cut between joists. It's a tight squeeze climbing through there. Even if it were large enough to fit a bigger sub through there, the strange framing (wish I had pictures of it) and roof-lines would make it near impossible to get the subs where I need them.

Anyway, It's looking like this project may not go through...I think the guy is quickly realizing he may not have the money to do this the right way.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.