ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6' Grand With Lid Off  (Read 8029 times)

Jeff Ekstrand

Re: 6' Grand With Lid Off
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 11:42:06 pm »

We ended-up with the two PZMs this weekend. It was alright, particularly during solo or quieter moments in the service. Even with the full band it was alright, but the in-ears suffered a little from not getting super clear piano. Actually, during a couple quieter moments in the service, the piano sound was better than I've heard it with the lid on... but I probably shouldn't say that as a professional... woops. Smile I hate our piano micing options.

We've decided that we'll probably try this one more time, down the road a ways, and we'll use the two SDCs. If we don't get anything better from those mics, we'll scratch the idea in the future. It won't be a consistent thing, and certainly not every week.

The aesthetic was nice, and provided something a little outside our norm. I'm a huge fan of mixing things up and keeping it interesting, especially in church, where things can get monotonous real fast... different week, same band, same sound, etc., etc., etc.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Kent Thompson

• http://www.kentssongs.com
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 11:49:24 am »

Quote:

I'm a huge fan of mixing things up and keeping it interesting,

It's always fun trying new stuff even if it is an absolute failure. I have learned a lot doing that.

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 12:22:19 pm »

Quote:

It's always fun trying new stuff even if it is an absolute failure. I have learned a lot doing that.

That's what I tell volunteers I train, both at my church and at others. If you're afraid of failure, or you get ridiculed for trying new things that don't work, then you're not in the right place. It's not worth it if you can't learn by making mistakes.

Once I've taught them how the gear works, and the basics of avoiding catastrophe, I tell them they're ready to get in there and start mixing their services.

When they express unease, which they inevitably do, I tell them, "Relax! You know how to not blow-up your system, and you know what good music sounds like. Now you just need to get experience and practice with different techniques. If you're afraid of a little feedback, or you're afraid of getting yelled at for less than amazing sound, then you shouldn't be here at all."
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 12:22:19 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 19 queries.