ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choir mics in the monitors  (Read 13746 times)

David Sumrall

Re: Choir mics in the monitors
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 07:53:53 PM »

Nothing in proper concert hall design is "coincidental."
David Sumrall
Audio Engineer
Gateway Church
Soutlake Texas
GatewayPeople.com

Doug Bull

• http://www.dougbull.com
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 01:49:12 AM »

In considering placing choir into your monitors, first consider that the "reinforced" choir (in the monitors) will need to overcome the masking of:

1. The mains (including delayed reflections)
2. The other instruments in the monitors
3. The choir itself

In other words, you would need to place more choir back into the monitors than they are actually producing in order for them to hear themselves in the monitors. The choir in the monitors will seemingly disappear otherwise. It's a losing battle.

Mic'ing choirs is an incredibly delicate job in itself. You'll need every aspect that you have going for you (i.e. acoustics, gear, correct mic'ing) in order to have a great sounding choir out in the house. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

All the best!
FOH Engineer
Brooklyn Tabernacle

Freelance Mixer/Consultant

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »

Doug Bull wrote on Tue, 09 December 2008 00:49

In considering placing choir into your monitors, first consider that the "reinforced" choir (in the monitors) will need to overcome the masking of:

1. The mains (including delayed reflections)
2. The other instruments in the monitors
3. The choir itself

In other words, you would need to place more choir back into the monitors than they are actually producing in order for them to hear themselves in the monitors. The choir in the monitors will seemingly disappear otherwise. It's a losing battle.

Mic'ing choirs is an incredibly delicate job in itself. You'll need every aspect that you have going for you (i.e. acoustics, gear, correct mic'ing) in order to have a great sounding choir out in the house. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

All the best!

I want to print that out and carry it around with me just in case I get asked to put choir in the monitors one of these days.  Well said!
Scott Helmke
TC Furlong, Inc.

Tom Young

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 08:42:25 PM »

I agree.

Very well stated.

A keeper.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Bill McIntosh

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 09:13:49 AM »

Just a comment from a newbie sound guy with 30 years as a choir member: I don't want the choir in monitors as a singer.

The only possible use I can see is: If there is a large SATB choir with all members of each part standing together, AND there are sufficient monitor channels to isolate each part, then as A bass I want to hear the sopranos Very Happy .  Or maybe the tenors, depending on the arrangement Surprised .  Never the altos, they are doing something different and if I get lost in their line down an octave the director  Mad  starts throwing things.........

Actually I want to hear exactly the same voices and accompaniment in performance that I hear in rehearsal.  Churches large enough to worry about choir mics and monitors usually have a separate practice room, so putting voices in monitor that I don't hear in rehearsal is guaranteed to throw me off pitch. Embarassed

So, this is an affirmation that choir members need to hear each other directly, not via monitors, or the music is going to suffer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 09:13:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.