ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plugging Audio Mixer into DV Cam?  (Read 4210 times)

Adam Sabo

Plugging Audio Mixer into DV Cam?
« on: October 31, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »

Hello,
We have just begun to use a Sony PDX-10p 3CCD DVCam to record our services and I am wondering how we can get a good audio recording on the video tape? We are using the camera to record the service and feed the nursery TV at the same time. I thought I could perhaps come off the sound mixer Tape Outputs or Utility Outputs into the Mic jack on the DVcam. Or the DVCam comes with an additional 2 XLR mic configuration that gets mounted onto a "Smart Shoe" or something to that effect. We could record the audio separately (like onto an ipod or computer...) and dub it on later, but that just adds to the multi-tasking of the sound guy already. Any direction in this area would help. And we would like to do it with the least amount of extra gear possible. Thank you for any feedback.

Re: Plugging Audio Mixer into DV Cam?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 09:43:24 PM »

What kind of console do you have and do you happen to have a spare channel of compression lying around?

Adam Sabo

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »

Hi,
I am using a mackie CFXII 20 channel mixer. I am sorry, but I don't know what a channel of Compression is? Thanks.
Adam

Greg Hertfelder

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »

Beachtek makes a number of interface boxes to meet your specific need. There are competitors with similar boxes, but nobody else has such a wide selection. The box usually fits between the tripod and camcorder.

Or, as you indicated, you could purchase the XLR interface shown in this literature, that Sony sells for the camera - could be a more elegant solution.

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 07:22:56 PM »

We have a couple of the aforementioned XLR interfaces.

They are great, definitely the way to go.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Adam Sabo

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »

Greg Hertfelder wrote on Sat, 01 November 2008 23:07

Or, as you indicated, you could purchase the XLR interface shown in this literature, that Sony sells for the camera - could be a more elegant solution.

We actually own the 2 XLR adapter that is mounted up above with the external mic (the same set-up as in the picture). I just wasn't sure that it was the link I needed between the mixer and the DVCam. Thanks for the help, I will try and get that to work. I tried once before but never succeeded, I will try some more switches on it. Thanks again.  

Greg Hertfelder

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »

You will want to set the Mic/Line setting to "Line", to prevent overdriving. Also, set any Auto/Man (Automatic/Manual) settings to "Manual" to prevent automatic gain noise pumping. Let us know how it all works out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.