ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Retarded musicians at the club  (Read 25956 times)

duane massey

Re: Retarded musicians at the club
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »

I've seen good engineers start with the drums or the vocals or the strings or the "featured instrument". It depends upon many different parts of the gig, including genre and familiarrity with the venue/system. A good engineer gets the mix right but (just as important) also appropriate to the genre. One size does not fit all.

I will confess that I get a bit skeptical when the engineer at an acoustic jazz gig concentrates on the drums, and then spends 5 secs on the horns.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 06:13:03 PM »

I've seen good engineers start with the drums or the vocals or the strings or the "featured instrument". It depends upon many different parts of the gig, including genre and familiarrity with the venue/system. A good engineer gets the mix right but (just as important) also appropriate to the genre. One size does not fit all.

I will confess that I get a bit skeptical when the engineer at an acoustic jazz gig concentrates on the drums, and then spends 5 secs on the horns.

I start with the first person on stage who'll pay attention and actually work with me.  That said, I seldom get more than line checks.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

James Feenstra

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »

logic dictates that an instrument with 12 mics on it will take considerably more time than an instrument with one mic on it...

just from a 'time spent on this person' point of view...

a few years ago reverend horton heat posted a blog on myspace in regards to the same thing....why do sound guys spend so much time on the drums and so little time on guitars?

simple answer: there's a lot more mics to deal with on a drum kit than any other instrument on stage. it's not that they're the most important, there's simply more inputs there to deal with and the entire kit should sound like a single instrument as opposed to 12 different ones. That in itself can be quite a challenge sometimes.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »

logic dictates that an instrument with 12 mics on it will take considerably more time than an instrument with one mic on it...

just from a 'time spent on this person' point of view...

a few years ago reverend horton heat posted a blog on myspace in regards to the same thing....why do sound guys spend so much time on the drums and so little time on guitars?

simple answer: there's a lot more mics to deal with on a drum kit than any other instrument on stage. it's not that they're the most important, there's simply more inputs there to deal with and the entire kit should sound like a single instrument as opposed to 12 different ones. That in itself can be quite a challenge sometimes.
[/quote]                                                                                         you said it buddy ! 10 mics on my drum kit and it takes time to get the levels even so all the drums are blended together in the mix. thats one of my drum kits in the foto and i play hard rock.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:22:26 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Felix Werner

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2011, 11:05:20 PM »

I guess big Mick doesn't qualify as a soundman then...

And no studio engineer knows anything about mixing a band either than...

I've never seen a good tech start with anything except drums (assuming there ARE drums), seeing as how the rhythm section is the foundation...
[/quote]

I didn't say line check. I said a mix. If you mix everything to the drums, you aren't a soundman. period. sorry.

Felix Werner

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011, 11:18:45 PM »

I start with the first person on stage who'll pay attention and actually work with me.  That said, I seldom get more than line checks.......
[/quote]

Absolutely agree with you. Line checks are one thing, and a mix is another. I'ts just that after the drum line checks and whatever goes with that, they leave the drums at that level and try to mix everything to that.
Everything should be mixed to the vocalist, not the other way around.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2011, 11:59:02 PM »

Absolutely agree with you. Line checks are one thing, and a mix is another. I'ts just that after the drum line checks and whatever goes with that, they leave the drums at that level and try to mix everything to that.
Everything should be mixed to the vocalist, not the other way around.

I never always do things the same way.....depending on the situation.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Felix Werner

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 12:06:23 AM »

[/quote]

Agreed.

duane massey

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 12:17:42 AM »

Agreed.
[/quote]
My point exactly. And (as any "old-school" jazz musician will tel you) a traditional jazz kit doesn't need 11-16 mics. Quite often you'll see 1 OH and a kick. I'm talking Bruebeck-style jazz, not smooth jazz.
The same mic'ing technique does not apply to every genre.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

James Feenstra

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »

I guess big Mick doesn't qualify as a soundman then...

And no studio engineer knows anything about mixing a band either than...

I've never seen a good tech start with anything except drums (assuming there ARE drums), seeing as how the rhythm section is the foundation...
[/color]

I didn't say line check. I said a mix. If you mix everything to the drums, you aren't a soundman. period. sorry.
if you mix everything to one particular instrument PERIOD...

and you said start, not mix
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.