ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Retarded musicians at the club  (Read 25774 times)

Albert Thomas

Re: Retarded musicians at the club
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »

I prefer the term "unenlightened" musicians. Education. It's a task requiring communication, tact, and personality skills which not all sound people are imbued with, regardless of technical prowess. It's a tough environment to try and teach due to time constraints and the ego walls that need to come down. Sometimes impossible, so you just do damage control.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »

just to remind everyone, i'm an idiot and i play drums !!!

But we're talking about musicians, not drummers! ;)
oooohhhhhhh well then i'm a stupid dumbace also !!! isnt that awful ? how could that have happened ? see, you should've got the fivefifty tickets in front !!!

James Feenstra

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 03:27:34 PM »

It is fine to say a person has Mental Retardation. This is a doctors diagnosis of the condition. An IQ below 70.
I'm pretty sure I've met many musicians and stagehands that fall into this category...

as for the techs are failed musicians bit...I became a tech because it was more fun to be backstage/at FOH than on stage for me. Could have had a record deal and lived the rockstar life several times, but passed on it to push buttons and faders.

If I had a dollar for every terrible band I've worked for I could retire right now...twice!
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »

If I had a dollar for every terrible band I've worked for I could retire right now...twice!
when i retired i bought a set of firestone all terrain radials at a blowout sale they was havin with roll over prices and i only had to do it once !!!

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 10:23:40 PM »

when i retired i bought a set of firestone all terrain radials at a blowout sale they was havin with roll over prices and i only had to do it once !!!

I don't think I would buy tires at a blowout sale no matter how good the deals were.

Felix Werner

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 11:59:39 PM »

Felix,

That's ridiculous... I'm seriously hoping that it was a joke and that I missed it. To identify with an adversarial attitude is to guarantee that outcome, I think.

Was it a joke? or do you only deal with very low level performers? As far as intellect, Oscar Petrerson and Keith Jarrett come to mind without even trying - Or Gary Husband... Gee, I hope I missed it...

Best regards,
Bob Charest

LOL...The fact that you have to even ask if that was a joke is extremely informative. Oh, and, yeah, you missed it.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »

boy , i missed it they was handin out brains !!! i just a ........ drummer !

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 08:08:24 AM »

Felix,

That's ridiculous... I'm seriously hoping that it was a joke and that I missed it. To identify with an adversarial attitude is to guarantee that outcome, I think.

Was it a joke? or do you only deal with very low level performers? As far as intellect, Oscar Petrerson and Keith Jarrett come to mind without even trying - Or Gary Husband... Gee, I hope I missed it...

Best regards,
Bob Charest

LOL...The fact that you have to even ask if that was a joke is extremely informative. Oh, and, yeah, you missed it.

Hi Felix,

Thanks - I'm glad! Sorry if I was dumb, but then (in the spirit of the thread) I'm a musician! :-)

Felix Werner

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 03:23:30 AM »

Thanks - I'm glad! Sorry if I was dumb, but then (in the spirit of the thread) I'm a musician! :-)
[/quote]

No, you're ok. The best soundmen are musicians. There's more to it than just a good mix. One has to know what is musical. You could have a perfect mix, and everything sound like doggie-do.
If you would have heard what a "soundman" once did to the tone of my fiddle, you would concur.
Musician soundman: mixes the band to the vocals/vocalist.
Engineer soundman: mixes everything to the drums.
(If a "soundman" begins a mix with the drums and not the vocals, he/she is not a soundman.)

ok, flame away...you'll lose the argument.
just, Felix

James Feenstra

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »

(If a "soundman" begins a mix with the drums and not the vocals, he/she is not a soundman.
I guess big Mick doesn't qualify as a soundman then...

And no studio engineer knows anything about mixing a band either than...

I've never seen a good tech start with anything except drums (assuming there ARE drums), seeing as how the rhythm section is the foundation...
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.