ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Retarded musicians at the club  (Read 25781 times)

Noel Bennett

Re: Retarded musicians at the club
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 01:43:25 AM »

Haha, what a fucking night tonight has been!

So this tosser rock band comes through my club and I'm doing a mix for them.
The bands manager rushes towards me during the bands break.

The guy approached me smiling and starts yapping on about the mix, telling me how amazing it is to see a guy "doing it properly". He told me that he "loved what I did with the guitars and cymbals" and how "the bass sits just right". He bought me a drink and gave me a pat on the back. He also told me that he has been with the band for years and they had never sounded that way before.

See, the thing about this is, the band were so loud that I stripped the mix back to vocals and kick drum. There wasn't anything else in there, I stopped caring and made a few phonecalls outside that I needed to make. everything that he had talked about was natural in the room and from their amps.

On the other hand, the band were up and down. One minute they were happy, the next something different. Fucking kids these days. 

Lately, I just sit back and laugh about this kind of shit. It's truly the best medicine.

Thats why its called SOUND REINFORCEMENT
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:45:19 AM by Noel Bennett »

Nate Conti

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »

Haha, what a fucking night tonight has been!

So this tosser rock band comes through my club and I'm doing a mix for them.
The bands manager rushes towards me during the bands break.

The guy approached me smiling and starts yapping on about the mix, telling me how amazing it is to see a guy "doing it properly". He told me that he "loved what I did with the guitars and cymbals" and how "the bass sits just right". He bought me a drink and gave me a pat on the back. He also told me that he has been with the band for years and they had never sounded that way before.

See, the thing about this is, the band were so loud that I stripped the mix back to vocals and kick drum. There wasn't anything else in there, I stopped caring and made a few phonecalls outside that I needed to make. everything that he had talked about was natural in the room and from their amps.

On the other hand, the band were up and down. One minute they were happy, the next something different. Fucking kids these days. 

Lately, I just sit back and laugh about this kind of shit. It's truly the best medicine.

Just a suggestion. You might want to be careful what you may say, or how you say it about anyone in a forum or particularly this forum. I've noticed that PSW gets indexed by google quite well and when I google my name it most likely links the searchers to my posts. You may not want to work with them again but you may want to keep your reputation up to par. Just saying. Thought it was a worthy point to bring up incase you may be concerned about the negative impact it might potentially have.
Crescent Pro Audio

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: musicians at the club
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »

And calling them retarded is probably offensive to the mentally challenged. I don't consider myself very PC but I am uncomfortable with that word used as a pejorative, while most pejoratives are probably best left between the lines.

JR

I agree, but no-body calls the mentally challenged 'retards' anymore. I would never use that word on someone who didn't deserver it. I'd like to take this word back from it's traditional definition. We should write a letter to the dictionary companies and have the definition changed to "a clueless seat-wetter critical of sound at a club".

Thanks for clarifying your intent... and while that matters, the perception of the listener/reader matters too.

There are no good words to use for pejorative insults.

As others have noted, there are more readers than posters here. You own what you post

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Nate Conti

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »

As others have noted, there are more readers than posters here. You own what you post

JR

There has been time I've searched for engineers and led me to this forum. I'd hate to see that band look for the OP to seek him out for work and then be very disapointed about this post. I'm sure that is unlikely but it is still possible.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:58:29 PM by Nate Conti »
Crescent Pro Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »

You own what you post

JR

And vice versa.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Adrian Delso

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »

What other kind of insult is there?

;)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 02:35:40 PM »

What other kind of insult is there?

;)

Gratuitous, you idiot!!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 03:44:45 PM »

Many different kinds of insults, but i agree "pejorative insult" is somewhat redundant. I guess it is insulting of me to not expect everybody to grasp what pejorative means without the extra qualifier as a clue.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 07:02:35 PM »

...I stopped caring and made a few phonecalls outside that I needed to make...

Does that mean you didn't really give them what they paid for? Aren't you on "their team" while you work for them?

Perhaps you should have spent a few minutes during the break (with the whole band present) explaining how they are ruining their own show by being too loud for the room. That the instruments are far too loud for you to control in the PA. Ask them if they want you to proceed with only bringing vocals up to meet the instruments. If they say yes, then you have their permission to stop trying so hard.

I realize they hired you because you are the audio expert and they are not. They are relying on you to work some magic and make them sound all pro. But, you can only work within the laws of physics and do so much with overkill volume. I would have at least leveled with them on your struggles. That way everyone goes away with some understanding of why the show was a burn.

They may be rookies. Maybe no one has ever explained to them what kind of cooperation a soundman needs from them. Just a suggestion.

(I am not Mr. Perfect. I have had the same exact scenario hundreds of times. I probably didn't handle it so well either.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:08:24 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »

And calling them retarded is probably offensive to the mentally challenged. I don't consider myself very PC but I am uncomfortable with that word used as a pejorative, while most pejoratives are probably best left between the lines.

JR

My day job is working with the Mentally challenged. I run a paper shredding work program that gives them the chance to have a job and a pay check. Its only when you work in this area do you realize how much we all take for granted. Or how much misunderstanding is out there.

It is fine to say a person has Mental Retardation. This is a doctors diagnosis of the condition. An IQ below 70. The odd thing is to be "Normal" an IQ above 75 is required. This puts some in an area where they can't get help because their IQ is above 70 yet below 75. Some people we see walking the streets may fall into this area.

Being in this field I do sometimes frown on the "R" word. But like words used still today for race descriptions it will hopefully someday be just not used anymore.

The saddest thing is allot of the people I work with look up to us. We drive a car, have a home, go out on the weekends. So many things and freedoms they will never have. Just the controled life they live alone would break many "normal" people. The work record and desire to work would put to shame some of the people I have worked with in the past.

Everyday I go to work I am reminded that I need to earn this.
Its just that simple.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.