ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Retarded musicians at the club  (Read 25777 times)

Ian Stuart

Retarded musicians at the club
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »

Haha, what a fucking night tonight has been!

So this tosser rock band comes through my club and I'm doing a mix for them.
The bands manager rushes towards me during the bands break.

The guy approached me smiling and starts yapping on about the mix, telling me how amazing it is to see a guy "doing it properly". He told me that he "loved what I did with the guitars and cymbals" and how "the bass sits just right". He bought me a drink and gave me a pat on the back. He also told me that he has been with the band for years and they had never sounded that way before.

See, the thing about this is, the band were so loud that I stripped the mix back to vocals and kick drum. There wasn't anything else in there, I stopped caring and made a few phonecalls outside that I needed to make. everything that he had talked about was natural in the room and from their amps.

On the other hand, the band were up and down. One minute they were happy, the next something different. Fucking kids these days. 

Lately, I just sit back and laugh about this kind of shit. It's truly the best medicine.

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
Re: Retarded musicians at the club
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »

See, the thing about this is, the band were so loud that I stripped the mix back to vocals and kick drum.
You used your ears and did the right thing. 

Congratulations.

Andre

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »

Sounds about normal...

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 12:44:58 PM »

Like I just said in another thread, the use of the word "musician" is too overused.  I would just call those kids "performers" and be done with it.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »

And calling them retarded is probably offensive to the mentally challenged. I don't consider myself very PC but I am uncomfortable with that word used as a pejorative, while most pejoratives are probably best left between the lines.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:35:37 PM »

And calling them retarded is probably offensive to the mentally challenged. I don't consider myself very PC but I am uncomfortable with that word used as a pejorative, while most pejoratives are probably best left between the lines.

JR

Indeed.  Particularly when "clueless seat-wetter" is typically more applicable to the "performer."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Gow

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:34:41 PM »

What can you do hey.

I try to discuss stage volume with the bands, most are pretty good, but every now and then they just don't listen, or sneak the volume up a bit by bit. Other than stop the whole show and ask them to turn down, I just bring them down in the mix the best I can.

Like you said, sometimes you end up with kick and vocals. I just shrug and take my money at the end of the night. It's so much nicer having one of those really fun great sounding gigs, but sometimes you just do what you can.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:47:54 PM by Rob Gow »

Mark Walter

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »

Yep, that's at least half of my gigs. Vocals and kick Drum.

Ian Stuart

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 11:24:01 PM »

JR

I agree, but no-body calls the mentally challenged 'retards' anymore. I would never use that word on someone who didn't deserver it. I'd like to take this word back from it's traditional definition. We should write a letter to the dictionary companies and have the definition changed to "a clueless seat-wetter critical of sound at a club".

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »

watts a musician ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.