ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Retarded musicians at the club  (Read 25780 times)

Ian Stuart

Re: Retarded musicians at the club
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:51:29 PM »

Does that mean you didn't really give them what they paid for? Aren't you on "their team" while you work for them?

Perhaps you should have spent a few minutes during the break (with the whole band present) explaining how they are ruining their own show by being too loud for the room. That the instruments are far too loud for you to control in the PA. Ask them if they want you to proceed with only bringing vocals up to meet the instruments. If they say yes, then you have their permission to stop trying so hard.

I realize they hired you because you are the audio expert and they are not. They are relying on you to work some magic and make them sound all pro. But, you can only work within the laws of physics and do so much with overkill volume. I would have at least leveled with them on your struggles. That way everyone goes away with some understanding of why the show was a burn.

They may be rookies. Maybe no one has ever explained to them what kind of cooperation a soundman needs from them. Just a suggestion.

(I am not Mr. Perfect. I have had the same exact scenario hundreds of times. I probably didn't handle it so well either.)

After so many years, I'm still enthusiastic and want to give them the best sound possible. But ultimately, what I have to do is keep the client happy. The client, being the club owner/manager doesn't want to hear any shit. period. either from me or the band so this is risky for me.

I've tried in the past to have kind words to the bands and they've NEVER listened so fuck 'em.
In fact, one time after a kind word, the band casually mentioned to the owner whilst being paid about me "changing their sound". The club owner doesn't understand so he had a word to me at the end of the night thinking that this was a bad thing. I'm not trying to change anything if it's going to jeopardize my position, I'm just here to do my job.

In saying this, I love the more professional bands who keep their stage volume in the correct ball-park. They are also 100% more likely to be happier with their sound at the end of the night because they actually know the difference between myself and every other garden variety sound man (and system setup for that matter).

Honestly dude, been there done that. It's not a big loss to me if one band out of 5 or 6 bands during the night shits themselves on stage. As far as the management can tell, if one band out of the 6 sounds shit and I was mixing the whole time, he knows who to blame.

In saying that, If anyone knows any Jedi mind tricks, I'm all ears and willing to give it a go.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 01:02:17 AM »

The saddest thing is allot of the people I work with look up to us. We drive a car, have a home, go out on the weekends. So many things and freedoms they will never have. Just the controled life they live alone would break many "normal" people. The work record and desire to work would put to shame some of the people I have worked with in the past.

Everyday I go to work I am reminded that I need to earn this.
Its just that simple.

Douglas R. Allen

Thank you!

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 02:58:22 AM »

I don't consider myself very PC but I am uncomfortable with that word used as a pejorative, while most pejoratives are probably best left between the lines.

Looking at the history of words used by science to describe such conditions (idiot, moron, imbecile etc.), I wonder if any such word can avoid taking on a pejorative meaning.

Felix Werner

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 02:44:00 AM »

Like I just said in another thread, the use of the word "musician" is too overused.  I would just call those kids "performers" and be done with it.

The smartest musician is dumber that the worst soundman. When will they learn?

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 08:20:20 AM »

"Muscisians and sound people" -- this is a Venus and Mars situation (hopefully, most of you know what Venus and Mars is). 

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 09:19:29 AM »

"Muscisians and sound people" -- this is a Venus and Mars situation

The smartest musician is dumber that the worst soundman.

Well I have done both professionally over a longer period of time than I care to think about, and I have met as many bad sound people as bad musicians!  The not-often-spoken  fact is that  many sound people are want-a-be's who couldn't cut it as a musician! (Boy, that's gonna make me popular here!)

Just the title of this thread displays a very unhealthy attitude about the whole business!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:46:21 AM by Chuck Simon »

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »

Whoa, my first post.

Anyhow, I am in college and work for my schools student union. We have music every Friday night in our little club. And by little I mean 50 people max plus the small bar up stairs. Most (if not all) of the music is college bands. Often times it is a bands first time being mic'd so I mention stage volume and how turning down their amps and maybe even using a lighter stick on the drums can help them sound better out front. The bands that want to sound good listen and usually sound great. Those that don't sound like shit and yes, I end up with a mix of just vocals and kick. It is what it is.

I specifically remember one band where I had completely taken everything out of the mix but vocals and still had trouble getting those up. I finally whipped out my meter and clocked the guitarist at 110dB during a solo. and it was a bad 110dB. Very shrill.

All you can do is try and keep it together and just wait for the next band and do it again. 

Well I have done both professionally over a longer period of time than I care to think about, and I have met as many bad sound people as bad musicians!  The not-often-spoken  fact is that  many sound people are want-a-be's who couldn't cut it as a musician! (Boy, that's gonna make me popular here!)

Just the title of this thread displays a very unhealthy attitude about the whole business!

I'm not really much of a musician. I've kind of always been a sound person. I haven't been doing this very long (some people have been doing it longer than I've been alive) but I've learned that as much as my job is making it sound good, it is also about making the band happy (maybe that's why I prefer monitors.) Without them we wouldn't have jobs. Even the shitty ones. I'd much rather mix the same shitty bar band every night than sit behind a desk.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:26:32 PM by Sam Zuckerman »

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »

The smartest musician is dumber that the worst soundman. When will they learn?
Felix,

That's ridiculous... I'm seriously hoping that it was a joke and that I missed it. To identify with an adversarial attitude is to guarantee that outcome, I think.

Was it a joke? or do you only deal with very low level performers? As far as intellect, Oscar Petrerson and Keith Jarrett come to mind without even trying - Or Gary Husband... Gee, I hope I missed it...

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 02:39:50 AM »

just to remind everyone, i'm an idiot and i play drums !!!

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »

just to remind everyone, i'm an idiot and i play drums !!!

But we're talking about musicians, not drummers! ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.